1994 XP JUST BOUGHT BOGGED ON FIRST RIDE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theseadood

I recently just picked up my first jet ski, a 1994 Seadoo XP. When I picked it up the owner had it hooked up to a hose and it fired right up and ran through its range without issue. Mechanic brother along for advice. Wanted a water test but jumped on it anyways for $1300 with trailer. Just put it into the water yesterday for a test ride after filling with fresh 91 non oxy, put it into the water and it barely started after 10-12 cranks. Once started, almost no throttle response like it was starving for air. Minute later, started to open up and reach higher rpm, seemed alright. Slowed it back down, and as I was pulling back into shore it started to almost die on me, some white smoke coming from the back, although I had never turned my head around and looked for it until then. I’m assuming dirty carbs/old fuel or oil, dirty fuel lines. There was a bunch of mold under the front compartment after I checked around, if it sat... moisture...carbs... any help at all is appreciated! Willing and determined to take the carbs off and clean/rebuild them, just don’t want to take them off and go looking for a fish that ain’t there. Thanks!

Thank you! I figured. Fuel system service as in cleaning the lines or just replacing them? Also, while I was putting in the plug I had it tightened pretty well, but it seemed like there was a bit more water in there than when I started, and I only rode for maybe 5 minutes? Concerning or no? Should I be tightening it as tight as I can by hand?

Some water in the hull is normal.

Yes, new fuel lines, fuel selector and o-ring for the fuel strainer in addition to carb rebuild.

A new to you machine of that age should be gone through before you run it.

The carb rebuild thread is THE best source for doing the carbs right. I fought sluggish performance on mine after a full motor, carb, pump rebuild. After studying carb pop off for various models I increased mine from the 18ish it had for stock up to 28ish and noticed an improvement at low throttle settings. Raising the pop off, remachining the rv cover to spec and lowering the impeller pitch woke the machine up.

As said, check the pump oil, impeller and liner condition.

Do a good compression check on it, cold motor, throttle wide open, crank 3 to 4 seconds. Let us know what you find.

That machine came with an impeller that was pitched too high. I use an oem 271000454 in my 94 xp and it made a significant difference on low end while still giving me good rpms and 50 mph.

..... and as always never believe anything a seller tells you. "Bad gas" "Just needs carbs cleaned"
"Sorry battery is dead, but we just had it out last week"
If it's more than $500 and you have no use for a parts machine, always take a five-minute sea trial.

625FF154-41E2-4E91-845B-D266545804B1.jpeggot the carbs and RV cover pulled off, didn’t check the compression yet, talked to the owner and he did say he had replaced all fuel lines, although it seems they were replaced with stainless clamps, but not screws. Might replace all with full SS fittings and screws. As for the carbs, they were quite dirty, cleaned them up a little so far but will clean them further once I have the kits. I found some genuine Mikuni kits on eBay/Amazon from $35/40, but I assume I need one for each carb right?D457E87B-FC65-468C-BBD1-9E20A6F6104B.jpegEB0A6BBD-03ED-4F1A-8367-53A81B5491D6.jpeg45B1B822-97E3-4DCE-8C9F-E2116E8C15E2.jpegAD16804F-6B21-4535-B21C-BE73E45A502D.jpeg9F69662A-60E6-4456-A823-BB76343120A1.jpegC2B3BBE2-5943-4C0C-8C5F-50CA97AB9A1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Found a kit with needle arm and pin for both carbs for around $120, and a kit with new pump oil and seal from OSD so thank you for the link.

BE08A475-AAD6-41E9-8FD8-804D57100163.pngCylinder with 145ish compression is pto side, cylinder with 60ish psi magneto side. Carbs were completed and put back on, tried it in the water and it fired up first try, engine seemed to run like a top, just fine for 3-5 minutes. Started to feel confident in the engine and I pulled a 360 and as I pulled out of the turn the engine died in the water and failed to restart. Compression test taken today after all of that. So now what?B9F58494-B026-459C-8CF2-F82CE46C32DB.png

Did you double check the rotary valve timing (or damage) when you had the carbs off?
If that is OK then I think you may be looking at top end rebuild best case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back