Winterizing a 95 XP 717

XP958080

There are several methods mentioned throughout this forum on winterizing but this is what I plan on doing.

1. RV/Marine antifreeze
2. Remove the intake hose on the engine and attach a hose with a funnel on end
3. Pour antifreeze in the engine until I see it coming out the exhaust---will it also come out the pisser line?
4. Add fuel stabilizer
5. Remove the plugs, fog the engine, and also remove the air intake cover and then fog that.

Thoughts? Is it best to do this while running the engine?

There are several methods mentioned throughout this forum on winterizing but this is what I plan on doing.

1. RV/Marine antifreeze
2. Remove the intake hose on the engine and attach a hose with a funnel on end
3. Pour antifreeze in the engine until I see it coming out the exhaust---will it also come out the pisser line?
4. Add fuel stabilizer
5. Remove the plugs, fog the engine, and also remove the air intake cover and then fog that.

Thoughts? Is it best to do this while running the engine?
That’s exactly what I do, not sure what you mean about do I do this while running engine but yes, spray your fogging oil in the air intake first, make taking the plugs out and fogging the cylinders the last thing you do. Not sure where you are storing machine but if mice are a possibility you could stuff steel wool in the pump and exhaust opening. Also a good idea to spray the interior with a light silicone spray and leave the seat a jar, so that the interior of the hull can breathe. I’m in Ontario Canada where it can get very cold and never an issue. The manual will tell you a different way where you take off some hoses, lift them up, clamp one and then pour a specific amount of antifreeze in a certain hose to mix with the remaining water. I don’t do it like that, and the reason is, that method was meant to be done with ethyl glycol antifreeze that when mixed 50/50 with water protects to -49 Fahrenheit, the RV antifreeze when mixed 50/50 will not protect anywhere near that so best to do it the way your doing it, as that method mixes it and shoots it out the exhaust so the mixture your left with May be somewhere around 90 percent antifreeze and 10 percent water.

That’s exactly what I do, not sure what you mean about do I do this while running engine but yes, spray your fogging oil in the air intake first, make taking the plugs out and fogging the cylinders the last thing you do. Not sure where you are storing machine but if mice are a possibility you could stuff steel wool in the pump and exhaust opening. Also a good idea to spray the interior with a light silicone spray and leave the seat a jar, so that the interior of the hull can breathe. I’m in Ontario Canada where it can get very cold and never an issue. The manual will tell you a different way where you take off some hoses, lift them up, clamp one and then pour a specific amount of antifreeze in a certain hose to mix with the remaining water. I don’t do it like that, and the reason is, that method was meant to be done with ethyl glycol antifreeze that when mixed 50/50 with water protects to -49 Fahrenheit, the RV antifreeze when mixed 50/50 will not protect anywhere near that so best to do it the way your doing it, as that method mixes it and shoots it out the exhaust so the mixture your left with May be somewhere around 90 percent antifreeze and 10 percent water.
Thanks for the reply. I've read you can do this method without starting the engine and then I read we need to start the engine, so just looking for clarity. It has been a while since I did this and can't remember the method I used.

You absolutely need to have the engine running. Never add any liquids to the cooling system without the engine running or you risk letting water into the cylinders and crankcase,, the only thing stopping it is the exhaust gasses.

You absolutely need to have the engine running. Never add any liquids to the cooling system without the engine running or you risk letting water into the cylinders and crankcase,, the only thing stopping it is the exhaust gasses.
Got it, thanks......I still need to clamp a hose correct so the antifreeze doesn't gradually leak out?

Thanks for the reply. I've read you can do this method without starting the engine and then I read we need to start the engine, so just looking for clarity. It has been a while since I did this and can't remember the method I used.
Yes, as @mikidymac mentioned you must have the engine running with this method, your mixing information with the procedure layer out in the manual where you don’t have the engine running but to do it the way you specified the engine does need to be running. Have another hand handy and 20 seconds of running would be more than enough

Got it, thanks......I still need to clamp a hose correct so the antifreeze doesn't gradually leak out?
Nope, your mixing procedures again, the hose clamping is with the procedure lauded out in the manual. If your going to use the procedure from the manual I would recommend using the ethyl glycol because I’m super cold climates the rv antifreeze may not provide enough freeze protection when mixed with water

Back