What do I need to grease? Impeller? How too? 2007 se GTI 155

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonydiato

I have a 07 se gti 155. I have the shop manual and can not find how to grease the impeller for a yearly maintenance. Is there a fitting that I just put a grease gun too? What else do I need to grease back there?

Thanks, Your help appreciated.

Tony

The impeller itself doesn't get greased, it's the fitting behind the PTO under the long (about 8 inches or so) plastic housing. It's just behind the engine. You may have 2 zerk fittings. Marine grease can be used but i think someone said that good brand of wheel bearing grease is best because it's "stringy" and sticks better.

search for threads on it.

That would be me.As Seadoobuddy said,wheel bearing grease has a stringing property.It draws itself into the bearing.there is 2 types.Marine and obviously,non-marine.
Wheel bearings in boat trailers go a baby -sh,t color.It's the water getting into the grease.Dry land trailers don't get anything like the treatment boat trailers get.They last longer.Use good marine wheel bearing grease and do it often.A few pumps after each ride.It takes only minutes and grease is cheaper than metal.

Just as an afterthought.Wheel bearings on trailers cop the biggest flogging of nearly anything on the road.They sit for months.Get pulled on the hwy at big speeds and get put back in a hole with no concern about tomorrow.That is why the grease is very good.If you want more info.No problem.There is many ways to tell the quality of grease.

Good point crisso, please fill me in on good grease vs bad grease. Can you tell if grease has gone bad, beside if it's milky looking?
both of my trailers get used only 2-3 times a year going to the ramp less than a mile away, then back home again to sit for months.

What brands are best? We may have different brand than you.

Ok
There is two very quick ways to tell good grease for marine and trailers or any very good grease.
First is to put it between your fingers and see if it strings out,when you pull your fingers apart.
Thats a quick test but a very good one.The second is if you want to test a grease and you don't know what it is.But you want to use it.
Put a blob of grease about 1 inch by 1/2 inch thick on a plate of steel.Now hit it with a hammer.Hard.If it stays pretty much in the area.It's good too use on about anything.If bits of grease go in all directions,it is a very low grade grease.Not to be used in high stress/load conditions.
It's only a way to show the quality of grease,not it's intended purpose.There is many other factors that need to be looked at.
But if you are stuck,on the side of the road and need to get home.This may help.
Hope it does

Grease impeller

Are the fittings seen to be greased under the seat or, in back by the impellor? Anyone have a picture of this.

Take the seat off.Right behind the motor is a plastic shroud.It should be held on by 2 wing nuts.Take it off.I call them grease nipples.Others call them something else.Look at them.They are grease nipples.(it may be an embarressing thing)Kidding.If you cannot see them,roll the shaft over.They are there.Grease them.2 pumps on a grease gun.Everytime you ride.That's it.Takes no time at all

I don't know which ski you're all talking about w grease zerks under and behind the seat. I have to pull the pump...remove the nose cone...empty all old grease...refill with marine grade...reinstall pump...once a year or so or if in salt water, check monthly.

Red2blue - you are referring to the pump oil. There are 1-2 grease fittings behind the engine that needs to be refilled at least 1-2 times a year. Some people squirt some grease almost every time they ride.

crisso - I looked the diagram for my 96 GTx and his 07 Gti, I can't see the correct part on either diagram. I know it's there because I've greased mine before.
What is the name of this part?

There are no grease fittings on a GTI LE 155 PTO or anywhere else. There is grease inside the pump but it is not a servicable item. The pump would have to be removed and disassembled. The 4TEC models don't have grease fittings.

Dennis - OK thanks for the 4tec update. On mine what is the part called? I can't see a part on the diagram that has a grease fitting, I've greased mine before.

When i called to find out how the Local Seadoo dealer winterizes a jet ski, I gave them my model and they said they grease the impeller. The Shop manual does not have this listed, or I can not find it for my 07 seGTI. I am just trying to cover all basis so when i winterize the jet ski, i do it correctly.

SO, does this model need to be greased anywhere once a year?

Tony

Hey Seadoobuddy, I found it listed under CRANKSHAFT, PISTONS. Numbers 24 and 25. They call it a CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL. :cheers:

tonydiato, there is no way to grease the impeller nor does it require any greasing

Thanks....So the seadoo dealership was just telling me extra services that they don't do to winterize....SO like them.

tonyd...you should call them back and ask why the impeller needs to be greased and where,how, what and when. then tell them to put the tube of grease where the sun don't shine.

Dennis, thanks for the help. I was looking at the same diagram but was looking for a longer piece of shaft not a round "flywheel type" #24

Last edited by a moderator:
tony,

Do as I discribed.

If you have a prop removing tool...fine, add a lil grease around the prop...anti seize would do as well there....keep the shaft prop spline area nice an greased up...but keeping clean grease in the cone will keep those bearings doing what they do.

On this one...the stealership wasn't trying to screw you.

Red 2 blew.respectfully.I never mentioned anything about the cone.All I said was RIGHT BEHIND THE MOTOR the is 2 grease points.Nothing more.Nothing less.Mate

Another question. Antifreeze. Is there a special antifreeze for jet skis? or can I just use any..like prestone or peek?

Thanks.
Tony

Red 2 blew.respectfully.I never mentioned anything about the cone.All I said was RIGHT BEHIND THE MOTOR the is 2 grease points.Nothing more.Nothing less.Mate

Crisco,

Cool..repectfully right back atcha....I simply asked which ski had grease zerks (behind my motor...is under the seat). I wasn't trying to be a dick. If you got grease zerks behind your motor...good for you...which ski is that? I know you never mentioned the cone....which is why I pointed it out in my post. That's where I grease my pump...and prop. No offense intended anywhere in my post....jsshchrist...I thought you aussies were thick skinned.

My mistake.

Tony...a prestone 50/50 mix is what I use. There is an eco friendly antifreeze out there...orange in color...I'll be going to that this year.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...hanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=442425

west marine is 26.00......peak with the same stats is 11.00. UNLESS, the above link is the wrong marine antifreeze.

The manual says that i just need to make sure that the antifreeze is at a 50/50 mixture. It didnt say to remove the antifreeze with a winterizing antifreeze. I just need to add antifreeze in to the coolant system to bring it back up to a 50/50 mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back