Wear Ring Good or No? Rebuild Jet Pump???

Jobondur

I was out riding this weekend and heard/felt a thump when I was accelerating from a stop. I proceeded to give it gas and it wouldn't accelerate. I limped back to the dock expecting it to be a bad wear ring. When I got home I pulled the pump off, but surprisingly when I pulled the jet pump, the prop stayed on the drive shaft. I was able to easily pull it off. I inspected the wear ring and it has some wear but nothing catastrophic (see pics). I then noticed the end threads on the impeller shaft seem to be a little "ugly" (see pics), though the impeller threads on relatively easily. Threads in the impeller seem fine and the impeller overall seems ok. When I pulled the nose cone, there was water in the grease. It seems like the impeller somehow unthreaded from the impeller shaft and then dinged up the wear ring a little. Should I just chalk this up to freak occurrence and put everything back together, making sure to torque the impeller down to like 90 lbft and put some blue loctite on it and go on my way, or should I completely rebuild the jet pump? I really don't want to rebuild it because I don't have a press and it's super inconvenient to go to the shop that has one that I can use.

If I just clean everything up, should I lightly sand the rough section of the wear ring or leave it as is?

Attachments

• 20240819_170151.jpg
    20240819_170151.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240819_170216.jpg
    20240819_170216.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
If you have water in the grease, you'll need a rebuild. The water typically enters the pump through the seals behind the impeller.

Corrosion of the angle bearing has probably already taken a toll. If you put it back together as is, it won't last very long. Better to do it right the first time.

Oh watch out for aftermarket parts; some of them don't fit.

If you use the freezer method, you can usually slide the wear ring in and out of the pump without problem or need of a press, but you'll still need a press to press the angle bearing onto the new impeller shaft.

Very strange that the impeller loosened. The driveshaft rotation is in the tightening direction.

At this point pull out the shaft and carefully inspect it and the thrust bearing and thrust washer. Shop manual shows you what to look for. Any imperfections will just get worse so things need to look perfect. If not, rebuild or call Westside and buy a pump. They won't sell you junk. If everything passes inspection, replace the seal and cone o-ring, pressure test, and fill.

Back