vts fuse, tune up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start with the fuses & work from there. Its possible your internal limit switches are not working in the VTS unit & the motor is mechanically binding. that would blow the fuse. did, or does the gauge work?

If you're using regular hose clamps on the vts boot get em off and use plastic clamps. They have little teeth on them that lock the clamp. Hose clamps eat into the boot and cause the leaking.

Point,
Did the new boot and will do new clamps, thanks.

Ragtop,
The vts gauge was working on one and not the other. I believe the working one still is as the trim gauge stopped working in the up trim position and the gauge is showing the same(I'm assuming dead gauges fall to down trim position as that is the position of the gauge that has not been working)

Any tips on correcting the bad gauge(s?)

Thanks

Rak

well, it might be a little more complex than that, but lets see.

The VTS unit has a series of magnetic reed switches in it, that do two things. They give the position of the trim unit for the gauge, & at the limit of travel (up & down) they release the relay for that direction so the motor doesn't over run & mechanically bind. Is your trim currently all the way up, or down? If so, replace the fuse (if its blown) & see if it will go the opposite direction. When the trim gets all the way to the limit, the motor should shut off & when it does, there should be no relay click for that direction if you try to make it go further. however, if you move it in the opposite direction you should get a click & the motor runs until it reaches the other limit switch. IF you have no gauge movement, there is a chance that your sliding block needs a new magnet. The early style magnets sometimes rust away, the later designs had an epoxy coating to help seal them up. check these things out when you get a chance & let us know.

Also, here is the diagram for the resistance test for the gauge. If you disconnect the gauge, there will be a brown/white & brown/black pair of wires. Put an ohm meter on them to verify where they are at.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-19 at 4.59.46 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-08-19 at 4.59.46 PM.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 8
okay checking back in guys, so i went and got my compertion checked and it was at 149 on each. so i think im good on that, but now im wondering why my idle would slowly decrease as i just let it sit, and why from 3/4 throttle to full throttle ther is no increase in speed or rpm. and i know my throttle cable it set right... ANY CLUES?

what are your RPMS at those two throttle positions? as far as idle, you say leaving it sit. Do you mean letting it idle in a no wake zone, or just extended idling, or sitting at the dock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back