tune-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvcsmkr

Okay so planning on doing a tune-up this week. I like to do everything at once, Im the "while your in there you might as well" type of guy.

My list:
Fuel filter - Do i get a pair of the $20 filters from the local speedshop?
Oil filter - Do i get a pair of the $20 filters from the local speedshop?
Spark plugs-NGK BR8ES, correct?
Carb Rebuild - Ive never torn down a carb before, Do i just get a "rebuild kit"?

I've done almost all of my auto mechanic work (turbos, exhaust, efi tuning, etc), so im assuming i dont need any special tools.

Is there anything else I should at the same time?

Thanks in advance

For the filters, use replacements like old ones from Auto Zone...only a few bucks each. Be sure the mesh isn't too fine to block the flow. You could just clean the carbs being careful, you shouldn't need to use a rebuild kit. The NGK BR8ES plugs should be gaped to .021"-024"

Karl

For the filters, use replacements like old ones from Auto Zone...only a few bucks each. Be sure the mesh isn't too fine to block the flow. You could just clean the carbs being careful, you shouldn't need to use a rebuild kit. The NGK BR8ES plugs should be gaped to .021"-024"

Karl

Do i need to use the stock oil filter? or does autozone have a replacement also?

Cleaning carbs? Is that just spraying some of the sea-doo lube thru throttle body?

thanks again

break the carbs down, and spray away, then re-assemble. For oil filter, never changed those, and for gas filters, i use the ones from motorcycle/dirtbike shop..glass/clear ones, for 2-buks.

Ive opened the carbs up several times and found that when they run for a while the gas gets to the o-rings and they swell. If they swell up too much you would prolly need a kit to replace them as they are very difficult to get lined up in the groove when your ready for re-assembly. Ive learned alot in these threads and thats the one thing I dont see many ppl talking about.
Otherwise the carbs are simple and easy to clean.
I havent changed my oil filters as of yet either but the fuel filters are easy to come by at the parts store for just a few buks.
Karl knows better than I but I thought I read somewhere that the plugs should be BR9's.
I too am a car guy but I havent found the need as of yet (other than a pop-off tester) for any special tools.
good luck and these guys are always here when ya need em.

Walmart?

Karl

Do not use paper filters from an auto parts supplier. KustomKarl has specifically said "mesh" so I'm sure he's saying the same.

Walmart actually has marine fuel filters that you can buy and replace your old one with. It's a filter that seperates and can be cleaned and replaced if necessary. They also have extra filters, so I'd pick a few of them up to. If they don't have them in your local boat section of your sporting goods section, you can go online to Walmarts and order direct from their online store. It will be delivered to your local store. Any other problems, let me know and I'll get you the SKU and you can have the manager order it for you.

If your gentle with the carbs, you should be able to open, inspect and clean without replacing anything for your first go round at least. This will let you familarize yourself with the internal parts before doing a full rebuild. The only parts you have to be very careful with is, do not bend your lever or spring that controls your needle valve. They are floatless carbs, so not a lot inside of them. I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner and the little red hose that comes with it, to spray through the internal porting to make sure nothing is blocked up............ good luck! :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back