Top end kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbxp94

Pwc newbie here, but I am not new to motor internals. I got a 94 xp with the rotax 657 motor...

The ski was running but there was a leaking gasket, the previous owner tried to fix it and couldnt so he gave it to me. So here is the deal, when the guy went to take the head/head cover off he broke a bolt off in the jug. That's easy, I figure I can remove the broken bolt and retap the hole. The same cylinder has a small piece broken off at the bottom of the sleeve. Insides of the cylinders also look like they could be honed. I figure while its apart I might as well freshen up the motor. So I am looking into a top end rebuild kit. Any suggestions as to who to send it to? I have seen a bunch of places online and on ebay, but are any reliable? I figure I am going to have to have someone resleeve the one and send them both to properly fit the pistons. Or if I can find a used jug & sleeve to replace the screwed up one. Any help/info would be appreciated!

Sorry for the long post!

Parts?

Welcome to the forum. Glad you've come in for a visit. We may be able to help you.
You sound like your very knowledgeable with the upper end of your motor. But here's an idea. Most owners now, use websites that deal in new and refurbished parts. At some point, the work involved in rebuilding the engine yourself without all the specialized tools, isn't worth the hassle. Do a google search on "SBT". They deal in PWC engines and specialize in OEM engines, cranks, pistons and all the gaskets you'd need to replace what's wrong.
If the heads show any signs of age related stress, you may waste your money trying to buff, hone and only replace a couple of the parts.
Find the website, look them over. I think you'll find them to have good parts for cheap prices.

:agree: That is the best way to go...Let us know what you decide. If we can help give us a holler back.
Karl

I did find that website last night. They seem very reputable! And the fact that they warranty their work is a BIG plus. SBT stated that even if the jug needed to be resleeved they would do it for no additional cost. So I think that is who/how I am going to solve the problem, send my cylinders to SBT and have them do the tough stuff. I have heard that pwc's are expensive to up keep, but I figured do it right once rather than half a$$ed many times. Thanks for the speedy replies and information I appreciate it!

Good luck with the project, and if you need any more help ask away and we'll be happy to reply.
Karl

Okay, on to the next question...

Being a new homeowner and being right after the holidays, I am going to have to let the ol piggybank recoup before I order my top end kit. So I figure I can do other tune up stuff to the motor. I want to go ahead and replace all of the fuel/oil lines while the thing is taken apart. Any suggestions on good places to buy these? Any type better than others, oh yeah... what sizes lines does this thing use!? Once again it a 94 xp 650.

I took a good look under the seat and it looks like it has aftermarket flame arrestors (Ocean Pro) aftermarket motor mounts (blue annodized aluminum), brand new battery, and a bunch of brand new ngk plugs. Anything else I should look at/replace?

Parts house!

If you can, cut a piece of line from each that you want to replace. Go to your local autoparts dealer and give them the sample line. Let them know which ones are oil, fuel and water. They will get you the right hoses. There are no special applications on the hoses that need to be special ordered.

If you can, cut a piece of line from each that you want to replace. Go to your local autoparts dealer and give them the sample line. Let them know which ones are oil, fuel and water. They will get you the right hoses. There are no special applications on the hoses that need to be special ordered.

I hear ya, I have seen some pretty cool looking clear blue fuel lines for like 50 cents a foot or something online, thought it might be a better touch than just regular advance auto parts black lines/hoses... ya know, make it purty...

Fuel Line

See if they got the yellow clear fuel line. It's supposed to be alot better than the blue stuff.
DAWG

use the quick colored lines

oh yea, and colored lines make it faster...or at least it feels faster...:rofl:
Karl

Stainless wrap!

I was always partial to the stainless wire braid wrap. Noting looks better than to look in the engine compartment and see all the crome and stainless shine on your fuel and water lines!.......:cheers:

Drunk again...lol

I was always partial to the stainless wire braid wrap. Noting looks better than to look in the engine compartment and see all the crome and stainless shine on your fuel and water lines!.......:cheers:

WHAT!? In your SeaDoo?????? Are you hitting the sauce again?:ack:

oh yea, and colored lines make it faster...or at least it feels faster...:rofl:
Karl

I'll just stroll down the ricer isle at pepboys and get a fart tube muffler, little led lights and some 500 hp "type R" stickers and put them on my doo! No one will be able to touch me then!:rofl:

ricer ricer ricer....

I wouldn't put anything past seadoosnipe...Watch were you park you doo!

Wtf!?

So I talked to a buddy of mine who has an old 94 xp too. I told him what I was doing to mine and he decided to tear into his engine to help refresh his motor over the winter also. He looked at the sizes stamped on top of his pistons to see that they were 2 DIFFERENT sizes!? One was a 77.94 and I cant remember what the other one was. I thought the pistons needed to be identical? can someone clarify?

Your right!

You don't need to clarify!......because your exactly right. Both cyclinders are suppose to be the same in size.
The 657 standard bore is 78.0mm with the first oversize at 78.25 and the second over at 78.50. That's the highest tolerance for the 657. Trying to bore over any more than that could cause overheating due to the thickness of the water jacket.
But, what you do to one cylinder, you DO to the other.
I hope this answers your question......

Which is the higest tolerance? .25mm difference or .50mm? Regardless, I suggested that the larger of the 2 pistons gets bored to the next size, and the smaller gets bored to match. Thanks for the rediculously fast responce!:cheers:

Doesn't that 94 xp have RAVE valves? I'll look in the manual when I get a second... If it does than you can only bore to a recommended size or you have to modify the RAVE valves, as well. I'll check my info and get back to you.
Karl

No raves....

No Karl, the 657 has no RAVE system. Neither does the 717. They first started on the 787.
As for millemeter sizes.....50 is a larger size, but with the rebuild kits available today, I think I'd replace rather than rebuild. It's probably less cost too!

Thanks Louis, I didn't have the time to do a check up on the RAVE in that year doo, but wanted him to know that I was gonna look for him, before I went into any kind of details. Thanks for the input towards his problem.
Karl...gota run!

Like I said, it is for my buddies doo. He is a spoiled a*s rich kid anyway, if he complained enough his parents would probably buy him a new one. Which is fine with me, so I can use his for parts!:reddevil:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back