to remove the Oil injection system or not to remove?

Get rid of Oil injection or not

• leave it in

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark younggren

:confused: We have had a Sea Doo 4 person, Challenger 2001 boat for about a year. Bought it used with about 5-8 hours on it and from a certified shop who had it up to snuff. We have put about 12-15 hours on it. Only problems/shop trips have been with issues related to the variable rate oil injection sys. twin rotax 75 ( 180hp) engines . :mad: port engine blew a rod thru the block the other day.... they think the VRO injection went out. :mad:...Have been told for sometime by about 10 experts get rid of oil injection sys!! Have been told by another 10, Oh no keep it in, it was meant to be there! ??What are the Pros and the Cons of removing the VRO injection system??

I have it removed on my speedster. It is more of a pain to mix the fuel but really isn't that bad.

The pro I would say is ease of use, but the con of it failing (which it seems to do often on these twins) far outways the ease of use, imho.

Ditch it.

Leave it in!

I've got the 97 model challenger and bought it used. It still has the injection tank and since I bought it, I've worked on quite a few things to bring it back up to snuff. Mostly, the sycro on the carbs, rebuilt the jet pump and re-worked some of the electricals (DESS).....now that can be a pain!....
What I'm wondering is, from what I've read in my manual, the oil system also is supplied by a larger hose to the bottom of the Rotax engine, for lubrication. The oil injection pump to the carbs for mixing in the gas is attached to the forward part of the engine where the magneto is. From there, there's two small (1/8') tubes that attach to the bottom of the carbs intake, just behind the throttle plate and if the carbs aren't syncro'd with the injection system, your in for trouble. The Sea Doo manual I have describes this in pretty good detail, in lamens terms, with pictures, that it doesn't seem to hard to repair yourself.
I've never been one to trust the work of others........call me cheap, but it just seems that after something I own goes to the shop, the problems never end................I say, keep the injection tank and buy the shop manual for about 10 bucks and do a little research yourself. One chapter explains the importance of using either the preferred injection oil, which is a synthetic blend of low ash oil....it MUST NOT be NMMA type ashless oil!...this will tear up your engine....or you can use the standard blend of low ash oil. Quicksilver synthetic from walmart is labeled for the Sea doo also. But you can't mix them and if you bought the boat not knowing what was in it and you put the other type in, that could be a root cause to your problem....

P.S....the information above was from research I already did because I wasn't sure what type of oil to put in the tank after I purchased it from the last owner........I love my challenger, so I hope you get yours running and can go out and have a blast!........there a great handling boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good and informative post, Seadoosnipe (even if I disagree with ya ;) )

I don't trust the oil injection system, as if it fails without you quickly knowing, your engine is toast. I run premix myself, but if you keep up with maintenance then you really shouldn't have a problem. Just be proactive!

We have shop manuals available for download in our premium section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back