Throttle shaft sticking in 99 xpl

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyfever

Ok so I had my machine running and seemed perfect but then I noticed the throttle seemed to be staying open and the more I rode the more it stayed open. Lol. So I came in took the carbs off and checked. It seems that one car has a throttle shaft that is stiff. Anyone have an easy fix for this. I actually got it turning more freely with some penatrating fluid but I think it will siezed up again if I run it for a few minutes.

I have already replaced all the fuel lines and fuel selector valve this week. Cleaned carbs up. And took apart the rave valves and cleaned them as well. They were a mess actually because I hadn't ever done it myself before and the machine was not serviced at dealer for a Long time.

What kind of shape are the carb bodies in? Do they still look new or are they corroding? Do you have the diaper around the exhaust manifold and head pipe? Working on a customers ski right now that didn't have the diaper and the carbs are just about ruined form water dripping on them. The diaper is the rubber boot that goes around that connection.

115.jpg

Interesting. Typically what I have seen is corrosion that causes the pivot bushings in the carb body to get tight and squeeze on the throttle shaft. Try the penetrating oil, just be extra careful and be alert. One set I actually had to ream the bushings and they were perfect guy is still running them today. I really didn't want to go down that road but it worked out thankfully.

I would be concerned that I would reem too much if that was the case. I have it freed up right now, but I'm concerned if I put it back in they will just seize up again. They were seized up when I started on the machine a couple weeks ago but then I had them moving freely before I put it in the water today and after 15 minutes of run time they seemed to tighten up. Not sure if that makes sense, maybe hest inside compartment?

Does anyone have a recommendation for penatrating fluid that might last?. I used seafoam deep penetration to free the shaft but not sure if it has enough lube effect for staying power

Yeah. That's what I'll do. I don't mind taking the carbs in and out. I have it down to a system. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will last with the lube

In your country if may be hard to get. I use PB Blaster. If frees a lot of stuff. May have a spring that has malfunctioning. You go to tear the carburetor apart, read up on forum about rebuilding and tuning them. Sure your cable is not sticking? It could be the problem.

No. Not the cable. It is the mag carb. I have it seperated and it is moving and will reset itself from everywhere except about 1/4 throttle, just not enough spring tension to work. When I reconnected the two carbs it resets np with the help from the spring on other carb. I put it all back together for a test run tomorrow. Will update then.

Ok. Update. I had the machine out all weekend. It worked great. No problems with the throttle sticking at all. I was happy, kids were happier. Lol thanks for the help guys I just loaded up on penetrating fluid and that was it. Might try to do some more with it this winter when I have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back