Thoughts about new boat

Coloradoseadoo

I’ve been looking for a boat for awhile and the prices are out of control. Recently though, I’ve found a 2007 challenger 180 se. It seems to be in great shape however I haven’t yet driven it. It was listed for 16k, but they agreed to go to 14k. I think it’s probably worth around 12.5, but it’s been stored in their garage, has only 80 hours, and truly looks great.

My issues however are on reliability. I sadly don’t have enough money to spend 50k+, but I’d still like a boat that will last awhile. I have three young kids, I used to actually own an earlier 2004 challenger and loved it until a tree fell on it. But, will I need to rebuild the SC? Will it have other issues? I don’t think I’ll be able to get to get a mechanic to look at it, but I’ll be able to drive it. My theory is if it can drive for 30 minutes without issues, hit 40ish mph, then it should be in good shape. Is this wishful thinking?

Thank you.

If you can drive it at WOT for 10 minutes with no beeps or codes, starts easy, idles good and gets up on plane without slipping then it should be good to go.

If you can drive it at WOT for 10 minutes with no beeps or codes, starts easy, idles good and gets up on plane without slipping then it should be good to go.
Thanks. This is good info. Should the SC still be rebuilt soon? I will see people say to do it and then make comments like, but it’s really rare. Thanks again.

I bought mine at 80 hours and it was the original SC. I had it rebuilt a year later with a local mechanic who pretty much just charged me for parts and beer so I got lucky. I did it for piece of mind but used it the full summer before I did.

I bought mine at 80 hours and it was the original SC. I had it rebuilt a year later with a local mechanic who pretty much just charged me for parts and beer so I got lucky. I did it for piece of mind but used it the full summer before I did.
Thanks for this. I really want to get it, but that final decision… difficult. Have a good one.

Hey, I'm sorry to be the naysayer. Please get a used boat with a few-years-old Yamaha, Suzuki or other reliable 4 cycle fuel injected outboard. Why?
Bought my 2010 Challenger SE non supercharged brand new $40,000 back in the day. Mainly for kids safety, can't hurt manatees and dolphins mainly. In saltwater which they clearly advertise as ok.
Have taken religiously good care of it rinsing and servicing. I do everything right, I'm obsessive about it.
Sooooo disappointed with BRP. They didn't bother with antiseize on stainless steel bolts in aluminum jetdrives. So OF COURSE they weld themselves in the aluminum due to electrolysis, BRP !!!
UGH! You'll have nightmares getting a shop to drill out the super long jetdrive bolts anytime you need to service them. I've spent $15000 on a couple major repairs which is not the main problem since that's only $120 avg. per year... It's the nail biting worry and time and work to fix when it happens. Months of downtime and stress!
Also my twin 155hp 4-tecs, if propeller driven would probably go close to 70 mph on my 21 ft. Boat. But complicated and draggy jet drives can only push it 47 mph. Really inefficient!
I love my boat when it works, don't get me wrong. But she puts me through living hell. Uphill battle keeping it running well. Sooo hard to work on!
Think of jetboats as DISPOSABLE. They are made to last 5-10 years and after that screw the customer. And they make it a bitch to work on, requiring BUDS computer rests at the dealer or, hey, you can spend $700 for the software if ya want!... 😳 😡💢

Having said that, with only 80 hours, if you don't suck up sand and religiously rinse it out, lube driveshaft ( special tool or dealer) you will probably get to 200 hours before hell breaks loose. Sell it 200-250 hours then go to an outboard!

Back