Super Easy DIY Pop Off Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

CReynoldsMIZ

Hey guys. So I have seen over the years alot of people asking about checking pop off pressure, but not having the right tool to do it. I have done some searching, and there werent alot of good threads about making a really easy one. So while its is the offseason, I thought I would make one and test my carbs while the ski isnt in use.

There are only 3 parts that you have to buy, and they all came from LOWE'S! Go to the air tool section, and all three of the parts should be in about a 5 foot area.

First part was a quick connect with a female end.

Second part was this awesome air pressure regulator (I think used for paint guns). It has a built in gauge and a knob that controls the pressure.

The last part was a 1/4" barb with a male connector, that connects after the regulator, that barb is for the hose that you will connect to your carb.

IMG_0103.jpg IMG_0106.jpgIMG_0116.jpg

All in all, I think it was $15 for the regulator/gauge, $1.50 for the quick connect, and $2.00 for the barb connector. I was going to go the route of buying a separate gauge, a t-connector, and an airflow shutoff, but it was cheaper buying the all in one piece. Also, the knob gives you really accurate control of how much pressure you are releasing.

IMG_0120.jpg

Lastly, when you put the pieces together, make sure that you use plumber pipe thread tape to make sure there are no leaks. Hope this helps some of you...now if maybe someone can give me the procedures for doing the pop off test, then I will really be in business. Thanks!

(PS if someone can resize these pics, then that would be great)

I use shop air also... BUT... when you do it that way... you have to take extra care to make sure there aren't any leaks. But... it's not too hard. Just oil the needle, and turn it up to 10 psi... and put your ear to the needle. You will hear it if it's leaking.

I built one out of my junk laying around and ran it off shop air but I finally rose up on the Mikuni one......it is soooooo sweet. I have a ton of pressure testing in my future so it is worth it. No extra hissing and it's right on the money every time. Most importantly It's mobile and I no longer run the risk of popping (dry pipes and crank seals) things.

I can appreciate your simple and inexpensive solution though. It should be fine in most cases.

That is EXACTLY what I used when I did mine. Pulled it all off one of my spray guns to test the carbs lol.

Here you go miz,

368.jpg

369.jpg

370.jpg

371.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back