Stereo Replacement Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davo070

Hi

When I bought my 07 Challenger 180 the dealership could not find the front panel of the stereo on the boat, so he gave me a whole new Kenwood unit to fit at my leisure.

So removed the old stereo no problem, but none of the cables, plugs etc will fit the new Kenwood version he gave me??

Now this may sound stupid :redface: but do all marine stereos have the same fittings? (This new one does not say marine on it)Or is this usual that different brands have different jack/plugs etc

Is it a simple task of going down to radioshack or somewhere and getting 'adapters' or am I in for a bigger task?

Thanks

Most decks come with a wiring harness that plugs into the back of the deck. From there you take the wires from the plug and connect to the wires from your boat. You may have just unplugged the old unit without cutting the wires which you will need to do to connect the new one. I least I think so!?!?!

Thats what i am thinking

Thats exactly what i thought, do different Brands have different jacks etc or do all Marine have the same and all car the same but different to the marine?

They r specific to manu. Regardless if car or marine. Only time plug will work if it the same brand and model #. In car audio you have to purchase a wiring harness specific to your car and a mounting kit. I payed someone to install my cd player. Did you receive a plug with wires with the cd player?

Stereo

Nope, just the stereo, I thought it would be just an easy remove old one and plug in new one. Ah well probably easier if I look out for a specific model that was in here before (assuming its the stock one) and just buy a new unit and replace the front! its should work. Thats the next question I guess anyone know what the stock radio in an 07 Challenger 180 is?

answer

Davo,
I use to be an audio installer and we did a number of boats. The most common thing u will find its very hard to find simple adapter plugs like cars. So u will most likely end up having to cut your harness but make sure u do it like 2 to 3 inches back so if you ever want to put the factory back in it it will be no problem. Now the main thing w u is u have no harness coming from the back of your radio which does u no good till u get one. Go online u can find radio harneses like 10-20 bucks and find a local audio store to install the new one for u. need anymore indepth help i may be of some assistance.

Stereo

So if I find out what the original stereo model was and put back the old unit and simply pop the front on from the 'new' stereo will that work? Or can you just buy the fronts anywhere?

It sounds very expensive to buy a new radio that matches just for the face plate. I would just buy a new harness for the Kenwood radio they gave you. What model number is it? Kenwood sells the harness separate usually.

radio

If it were my boat i would go w the Kenwood because the factory thats in the boat does not have as much output power from the deck itself as to the aftermarket and u will have better sound quality from an aftermarket anyways and most look better anyways just look on your keenwood should have a model number on it on the outside of the radio maybe a sticker and look up kenwood online and contact customer service give them the model number and they can send u a harness and u can have it professional installed for less than what u can pay for a an oem factory deck or faceplate at that here is some contact info maybe they can get u what u need Davo. If u have anymore questions just ask ill help as much as possible

Home and Car Products
By mail:
Kenwood USA Corporation
PO Box 22745
Long Beach, CA 90801-5745

By Phone
(310) 761-8802
or toll free 1-800-KENWOOD (536-9663)

Thanks

Thanks guys, guess I will stick with the Kenwood and give them a call to see if they can fix me up with the right harness

Trying to install a new sound system in a 99 speedster sk. I currently have 2 speakers up by the front two seats. Does anyone know if there is space by the back 2 seats to put speakers there? Pleae let me know

They will easily fit. I have a 98 Speedster. Pretty much the same boat as you.

Look in my avatar pic.

<-------- See, you can easily fit speakers. Lots of them. If you look under posts by me you can find lots more info of how I did it. If you have any questions just ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back