Start selinoid question ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyd

Four weeks ago I ran the 1999 Sea Doo GTX like a scalded cheateau. Rode it all day and put it up in the garage. Yesterday I went to start it and it just made a funny noise.
The battery is new and fully charged, all the connections are good. At first I thought it was the starter. When I listened to it the noise was just a bbzzzzzzzzz. Like the starter spinning. But i opened up the back compartment and traced the noise to the relay inside the electrical box. I took a pair of pliers and to jump over the relay and nothing but a click from the relay (selinoid).
Any opinions would be appreciated.
What does a selinoid sound like when it goes bad. Does it bbbzzzzzzzzzzz, or just not do anything?

Boyd

Usually the solenoid makes no noise when it goes bad. When you jumped the solenoid did the starter turn over? If it did you have a bad solenoid. Sounds like it's not getting enough amperage, you need to check your connections and grounds, if everything is O.K. have the battery load tested.

Lou

I had the same issue originally I heard the buzz in the electrical box so I went out and bought the solenoid, same buzz, But i found my starter to be bad. Replaced the starter and same buzz. Took a meter to the battery and had 11.5 volts put the meter on the solenoid hit the start button and volts dropped to 8. Changed out battery and ran like a top. If you have multi meter check the volts on the solenoid while hitting the start button.

David

AGAIN....I've read a lot of threads saying that this or that is broken or not working. The owner replaces a few parts until the experts here *TELLS* them to get a different battery and try again. Son-of-s-gun it works now.

I for one have missed the easy fix and worry about a big repair bill, when the solution was right under my nose. Many people have written that they have seen bad plugs and batteries right out of the box. Moral is to check everything you can first before replacing expensive parts.

Thanks guys. I will take the battery out of my other ski (that starts fine) and put it in this ski.
Will let you know this weekend.
I also need to figure out how to work a voltmeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back