SPX oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like you have a silver engine and and a white pump so something has been swapped at some point.

It also looks like there might be oil on the oil pump lever where the return spring is. If you are leaking oil out of the oil pump arm the oil pump is done and should not be run as it could seize your engine. If it is leaking I would source a good tested used one from Westside Powersports Seadoo.

I would also install a new oil filter as that one looks pretty yellowed and old.

Thanks. Think it’s just the photo. The pump is silver. Had the ski since new, oil pump has never been swapped. Would you recommend converting the ski to premix or just replacing the oil pump if it is leaking there?

Absolutely not on the premix. You still have to keep the tank to supply oil to the rotary valve and will use a ton more oil premixing.

If that isn't oil on the lever arm spring then it is probably the hose leaking and dripping down. It could even be traveling down from the oil filter as it looks to be dripping off the low point of the hose bend.

My two personal skis are pre-mix but I leave the oil pump on all the skis I restore. It is much More convenient to let the oil pump do the work but also more stuff to check and make sure it's all good. Lots of old school two stroke guys pre-mix as it only takes one time to lose an engine due to oil failure that will scar the owner for life. :)

You can cut a paper towel into strips and tie it to different sections of the line to determine if the oil is dripping down the line. Get Creative. :) Good Luck !!

Thanks. Think it’s just the photo. The pump is silver. Had the ski since new, oil pump has never been swapped. Would you recommend converting the ski to premix or just replacing the oil pump if it is leaking there?

Personally, I'd leave the oil pump, you'll burn far less oil and are less likely to foul plugs. A leak at the pump could be at the 5/16" feed connection, or at the little cover on the pump (held by 2 little Phillips screws) is vibrating loose, it's where the cable is secured. Or the bleed screw is loose.

You may need to disconnect it and remove to get a good look, it's a pain to see what is going with it still in the ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back