sluggish computer win 8.1... do any of those "pc optimizer" things work or BAD idea

Ok, here is my $.02 on this, and take it for what it's worth. From my 20+ years of experience selling and servicing computers, throwing hardware at a sluggish computer is a bandaid and not solving the true problem. (although it may fix it, and here is why)

Computers hardly ever get slower due to hardware problems. Except for those very few times with a hard drive starts getting some bad sectors, or it is horribly fragmented, it is hardly ever a hardware issue. If you never loaded anything, or surfed the internet etc, that computer will run as fast as the day you bought it years later. And a quick format and reload on the existing hard drive or replacement would prove that. People are always amazed at the speed of their 4 year old computer after a quick lobotomy.

All of the above suggestions for using malwarebytes in safe mode etc, are excellent suggestions. They are updated more frequently, and will catch things that AVG, Norton Kaspersky may not. They are not replacements, they are in addition to. I also use one other bit of freeware called Super Anti Spyware which one of my engineers lead me to. This one will catch stuff that Malwarebytes cannot.

There again, run them in safemode and be amazed at the results!

My explanation that throwing more RAM and a new SSD is a bandaid, but will work. Keep in mind, we don't want the problem to just be accelerated by more memory or a fast hard drive. We want to eliminate it. If you go buy that new SSD, what will be the first suggestion? Backup your junk, put the new drive in and install Windows from scratch. Well, you could have done that by one of the suggestions up above without the expense of the new SSD!! You know that I totally wack my drive clean every 6-8 months just to clear crap. So yes the SSD is faster, but the process of reloading from scratch did as much if not more in performance. So try the cheap option first.

In sales, I never talked folks out of more RAM or a faster HD. Because I knew it would make the experience with their day to day apps better as well. Just understand, that the process of cleaning and maintaining is just as important.

It sort of like adding a cold air intake and filter to an old truck, when just cleaning the air filter would have done almost as much good. But the filter got changed in the upgrade process too. (maybe that's a bad analogy)

Last note, use the free editions of these tools to be sure they do what you want. If they work, some support through purchase keeps them upgrading and making them better. Most are fairly inexpensive. Before loading a new tool, do a quick google search to see how many people are fighting to figure out how to remove them. This is a sure sign of a very bad piece of malware that cannot be removed easily. These are the ones that you click on by accident, and now it takes a PHD to get it off the damn computer!

Good luck, buzz me if you have questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the posts...

I DO still think there is a slight lag now that I didn't experience out of the box, although its certainly better than it was this time last week, I have yet to run a disk scan or head into safe mode, so maybe i'll do that late tonight, or early in the week but I was a pre-occupied last night with watching a little basketball to see how terribly my bracket was doing (just awful btw).

I'll go that route next for sure to see what might pop up, Its unlikely I'll hassle with the the whole reformat/re install route unless absolutely necessary, a bit PITA from past experience, I haven't had to deal with that with win 8+, but it was a pain with win 7 a couple year back.

scanned with spyhunter in safe
scanned /f/r/whatever disk
killed mobogenie
disabled a couple plugins
disabled hardware acceleration
held off on downloading firefox, but I was close :), I mean like this ( - ) close.
switched to just running adblock instead of pro + adblock

somehow in all of that lag times are about half,it could have been any one of those culprits

will run it for a few days and get a better feel but I think I have the issue mostly licked.

good information all around, and much appreciated.

might be a good idea to start a couple of tech threads in the off topic section, always good info to share.

Google Chrome and Firefox are MUCH better than IE.

I have IE on my computer for a good back up, but almost never use it. It is a hog as it loads almost anything you MAY need. Chrom and Firefox load as they learn what you need/use.

i saw in the usatoday that IE is getting killed off.

I still use it since some of my vendor sites only take it so its my work "goto" program, but for everything else I use chrome, got pissed at firefox one day back yrs ago and haven't gone back :nopity: kind of hooked on chrome, the multi sync between devices is big for me.

i saw in the usatoday that IE is getting killed off.

I still use it since some of my vendor sites only take it so its my work "goto" program, but for everything else I use chrome, got pissed at firefox one day back yrs ago and haven't gone back :nopity: kind of hooked on chrome, the multi sync between devices is big for me.

That would be very hard to believe. Unless what they meant was that IE was getting killed off as a separate app. That would be believable. As IE is imbedded in so many things, and all of the Microsoft apps have browser based versions. With the advent of cloud based apps like Office 365, IE is not going anywhere.

That may have been taken out of context, but it would not be the first time I was wrong. It won't be the last either.

IE as you have known it is dead.

At least from a branding/marketing perspective. It was announced at the Windows Convergence Conference in ATL.

IE will be superseded by Project Spartan, which is really what has and is being embedded in everything. Take a read of this article:
http://redmondmag.com/blogs/the-schwartz-report/2015/03/the-death-of-internet-explorer.aspx?m=1

It is, like other browser releases, backward compatible to, I think, IE6.

IE is a legacy browser, its compatibility will need to supported for a long, long time.

-Dave
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google Chrome and Firefox are MUCH better than IE.

I have IE on my computer for a good back up, but almost never use it. It is a hog as it loads almost anything you MAY need. Chrom and Firefox load as they learn what you need/use.

attachment.php

Back