Slo-mo rebuild of my 1990 and 1991. Newb build so all advice is welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

James720

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new here and new to Sea-doo building in general. I am not new to cars, trucks, powersports nor boats, but PWC's in general. YES, I'm a newb.

Little background here... A few years back I purchased a 1990 SI (Or SP, I can't remember which is which) and a 1991 SP. They came with a custom build trailer that was never titled or used, it sat most its life. I threw 2 new wheels and tires on and tidied up the lights and wiring. After one of them almost killing me in False River over here in LA by busting a shaft seal, I let them sit a while and ended up swapping them to my buddy for a motorcycle... I got the itch to get back on the water after selling my boat (no need for a boat, all I did was waste gas for no reason. So I sold it to start a Sea-doo fund which later turned into a truck fund...) and being away from my camp which is at Sam Rayburn Reservior. So I've been on the lookout for a good deal and should be looking at a few more this week but while doing so, I sent my buddy a text asking him if for some strange reason he still had my old skis, to my surprise he said YES! So I will be picking them up from him tomorrow!! I'm going to add a picture or two of them from when I previously owned them. The plan is to rebuild both of them, paint and etc. I will also buy another larger ski and swap it to one side of my double trailer so I have a play bike and a cruiser in one package. The extra one will go on the single trailer and at that point I will either sell it, or keep it for a backup. I will do my own graphics and registration numbers since my wife and I have a vinyl buisiness on the side.

The skis both need new fuel systems and carb rebuilds. Neither were fogged. They both turn over and SHOULD still have good compression but we will see. The hulls are fairly clean and the bodies are too, but I will proabably wetsand and buff, or wetsand and clear.

Sorry it was long winded, just figured I would introduce myself and the story properly.

Thanks and look forward to getting to know every one and getting tips and help!

1.jpg

This picture is old of course, but the skis should be in similar shape

Hi and welcome to the Seadoo forum. You're gonna have a lot of fun with those ski's. Personally I don't know a lot about those models, but I know someone who does [MENTION=49703]RodInEscondido[/MENTION]. Lets see if we can get him involved.

Lou

Does anyone know where I can get reasonably priced oil injection block off kits for these? That will be one of my priorities. I'd like to pre mix and get rid of that little bit of extra weight while I'm at it. Also, who sells Hydro turf for these as well as seat and steering covers?

SBT/Watercraft Superstore (same companie) sell reasonably priced kits and also sell mats, steering covers etc, you can get hydro turf here. eight wise the oil injection block off will only save you at max probly 3lbs, also you cant remove the oil tank since you need the RV oil lines to stay connected (unless you close loop them together). Removing the oil tank and pump is not worth the trouble IMO. Almost everyone agrees the oil pumps are fault free and maintenance free, only thing you have to do is replace the old frayed injector lines and replace oil filter, and then bleed the system with the screw also hold pump lever open to get oil flowing right away. If it makes you feel better you can remove the oil injection without issue though with the kit just a preference issue.

http://hydroturf.com/products/Mats_-_PWC/Sea-Doo

Now that you say the oil pumps are pretty good, I may keep the injection. Just don't want to do all the work and end up with a burnt up motor. If I were to remove it, I would want to do whatever it took to remove the tank. But I'm in the air about that now. I will be checking out SBT now! Thanks again!

I will do my own graphics and registration numbers since my wife and I have a vinyl buisiness on the side.
You shouldn't have told us that. There's plenty of us here including myself who would like to get some new decals. Heck of a side business.

I love seeing these old skis restored. I have a hunch that you are going to do an awesome job making them look like new. They look great already!

You can get a Hydro-Turf deal right here on PWCmuscle.com. They host the site and there is a discount code.

I like those old skis as well. They will be great toys.

The Si was a re-decaled SP, I think it came with a SS prop and saddle bags? Im pretty sure Matt knows.

Luckily its a 90 and 91, the 88-89s had a crappy BN carb and the huge thru hull seal that rots and is impossible to find.

Welcome to the best site for help. If you need anything let me know I have alot of older stuff.

You shouldn't have told us that. There's plenty of us here including myself who would like to get some new decals. Heck of a side business.

I love seeing these old skis restored. I have a hunch that you are going to do an awesome job making them look like new. They look great already!
Haha! I would not mind helping with getting yall some decals. Our prices are very reasonable.

And thanks man I really appreciate the kind words! I'm no pro at skis but I've done plenty of restoring for other items!

You can get a Hydro-Turf deal right here on PWCmuscle.com. They host the site and there is a discount code.

I like those old skis as well. They will be great toys.
Awesome! I will check into that. Since I'm also on the lookout for another large ski too, I'm sure it will need new ones too. These are some of the best looking skis I think they ever made in my opinion. Just need some work getting them back to a-1

The Si was a re-decaled SP, I think it came with a SS prop and saddle bags? Im pretty sure Matt knows.

Luckily its a 90 and 91, the 88-89s had a crappy BN carb and the huge thru hull seal that rots and is impossible to find.

Welcome to the best site for help. If you need anything let me know I have alot of older stuff.
Hopefully there is no mistake and they are the years I say they are then!! Lol

Lou tends to oversell me ... I am essentially an amateur with a bunch of old SeaDoos, but having fun learning.

minnetonka4me will do you right on parts.

In no particular order, comments follow.

The 89 and 90 SPs I have have the older carbs that minnetonka4me describes. 91 SP has the newer type carb.

The consensus I have seen here is to keep the original oil injection system. There are procedures in the service manual for checking that the oil injection system is performing. Because you really want to change the oil injection lines if using this system you will have some bubbles in the lines. If you hook up a test tank of pre-mix directly to the fuel pump/carb you can test the basic operation of the engine while eliminating the largest part of the fuel delivery system and still watch to see that the bubbles in the small oil injection lines flow into the RV cover. Remember to keep run time to about 30 seconds so as not to burn up the thru-hull stuff that depends on cooling/lube by external water. Extra hint: keep the test tank below the carb like in behind the engine.

Another consensus is that the gelcoat finish on these skis is pretty hardy and a good clean-up and polish may turn them into jewels ... the pictures look good.

Fuel system will be the largest cleanup effort. I recommend removing the oil and fuel tanks and cleaning them up. One of the 89 SPs I have had a thick honey-like substance in the tank that only clean gasoline would clean up. The earlier skis also have a screen/check-valve in the fuel tank pickup that I have found to be either stuck-open or stuck-closed ... seems to be dependent on how long the ski sat unused and the fuel used. Also seen the pick-up lines into the fuel tank completely rotted off and gone.

Check compression now. On one 90 SP I recently acquired that had been sitting under a tree in the SOCAL sun for years tested 122/122 initially; then after running on temp tank with mix as mentioned above tested about 125/125 ... not much difference. Use multiple compression testers, they seem to be unreliable.

Speaking of long-winded ... I will stop for now.

Post a couple engine compartment pics, hints will follow.

Have fun,

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
James I'm looking for a good, reliable, and reasonable vinyl guy. If you guys are looking for some steady orders let me know. I give out decals with every parts order and my last guy has gone DOA. I have . Eps files of everything too.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rod you are the man!! That should keep me busy next week when I have some time off the day job! I really appreciate that brother!

And Minnetonka feel free to PM me or text me any time and I can see what I can do for you buddy! 225-270-6175

One of these 2, and I'm not sure which one yet... Will be getting a new school race feel, with some sponsor decals, some simple striping, and a new color theme which would be black, grey, white and strong hints of red.

couple more thoughts

last 2 digits of HIN (etched on right-rear of hull under the rub rail) are model year.

while you are cleaning out the fuel system, add a secondary fuel filter before the carb, standard automotive like G2 works good. Attached is a picture of how I did it on an 89 (90 is the same) SP with the external fuel pump. It can work at a tilt, but I am anal enough to not want a big bubble in it. Note the clear fuel line that needs to be replaced with the genuine, non-hardening fuel line like on the temp tank.

Also is my version of a temporary fuel tank. My recommendation to set it below the carb in the hull is to prevent fuel from siphoning from the bottle thru the carb into the crankcase. Clear fuel line gives quick indication of fuel pump operation.

keep having fun

Attachments

• DSCN0730a.jpg
    DSCN0730a.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 26
  • TempFuel4a.jpg
    TempFuel4a.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 25
Dude you are the bomb! I'm printing all this out as a guide for when I get to working on the engines next week. I got them home but they weren't clean by any means. They have been partially covered but sitting in the weeds. Some Scotch bright has with simple green has been working magic on them. I stopped for this evening but will continue cleaning tomorrow night.

That'll clean right up. With some new vinyl on the seats, some compound, and some elbow grease that thing will really shine. Rod is definitely the go to guy for these older seadoos.

I like the new Chevy. The new ones are so cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back