Shop estimate to rebuild carbs

XP958080

Hello All,

Looking for some feedback on an estimate I just got on my 95 XP (717) from a repair shop to rebuild the carbs. It came in at $670ish with parts and labor. The ski has sat for a while, several years, but now looking to get back into riding. Looking to see if that was reasonable. Thanks.

Hello All,

Looking for some feedback on an estimate I just got on my 95 XP (717) from a repair shop to rebuild the carbs. It came in at $670ish with parts and labor. The ski has sat for a while, several years, but now looking to get back into riding. Looking to see if that was reasonable. Thanks.
No that’s not reasonable at all, 350.00 to 400.00 USD and 450.00 to 550.00 CDN to take the carb off, rebuild it and reinstall it on the machine. Would be a reasonable amount for a shop. There’s a carb rebuild thread on this forum, if you look at @mikidymac profile you will find it there. The people on this forum could easily talk you through the carb rebuild if your patient enough to wait for a reply. Either way, if you do it yourself or if you take it to the shop, I would suggest you purchase the carb rebuild kit from osdparts.com order the back to OEM kit that comes with the new needle and seat. Personally I would feel more comfortable doing it myself unless the shop your going to is very reputable and experienced with 2 stroke seadoo’s, 800.00 U joint on my truck, 1000.00 rear brake job, I’m doing pretty much all my own work now, trust no one lol.

Do it yourself.
It is not that hard and a good skill to learn, also is the only way you can be sure Genuine Mikuni parts are used.

Too bad PWC Muscle isn't still rebuilding carbs..... looking at you @hfgreg :p

Do it yourself.
It is not that hard and a good skill to learn, also is the only way you can be sure Genuine Mikuni parts are used.

Too bad PWC Muscle isn't still rebuilding carbs..... looking at you @hfgreg :p
Haha yes sorry guys. Once upon a time we did.

No that’s not reasonable at all, 350.00 to 400.00 USD and 450.00 to 550.00 CDN to take the carb off, rebuild it and reinstall it on the machine. Would be a reasonable amount for a shop. There’s a carb rebuild thread on this forum, if you look at @mikidymac profile you will find it there. The people on this forum could easily talk you through the carb rebuild if your patient enough to wait for a reply. Either way, if you do it yourself or if you take it to the shop, I would suggest you purchase the carb rebuild kit from osdparts.com order the back to OEM kit that comes with the new needle and seat. Personally I would feel more comfortable doing it myself unless the shop your going to is very reputable and experienced with 2 stroke seadoo’s, 800.00 U joint on my truck, 1000.00 rear brake job, I’m doing pretty much all my own work now, trust no one lol.

I was just talking to a local guy that is getting out of working on Seadoos and questioned him on carb rebuilds. I don't do work for individuals just restorations. I asked what he charges for a dual carb rebuild and I think that is something I could live with if I were doing them. He said ($470) remove, replace, rebuild, etc... Gotta remember you aren't just rebuilding carbs, you have to get the engine to run correctly after the rebuild. Remember also that some rebuilders don't get good prices on parts, they buy retail. I don't like doing carbs because I end up painting them afterwards and I don't like doing that. Ha ha. I like pretty though and I like protection so it is a must for me.

I was just talking to a local guy that is getting out of working on Seadoos and questioned him on carb rebuilds. I don't do work for individuals just restorations. I asked what he charges for a dual carb rebuild and I think that is something I could live with if I were doing them. He said ($470) remove, replace, rebuild, etc... Gotta remember you aren't just rebuilding carbs, you have to get the engine to run correctly after the rebuild. Remember also that some rebuilders don't get good prices on parts, they buy retail. I don't like doing carbs because I end up painting them afterwards and I don't like doing that. Ha ha. I like pretty though and I like protection so it is a must for me.
I’m not far off then when I say 350.00 to 400.00 usd. I’ve never paid anyone to rebuild my carbs and I wouldn’t. I would love to do it for other people, I would test the the pop off, test after all back together, test the fuel pump diaphragm but I know I would go nuts from people having other issues and blamin it on the carb rebuild.

Honestly, the original poster could do it himself, for the 139.00 back to OEM kit and then have that satisfaction

There used to be a guy on Ebay that rebuilt carbs and did a good job. I never used him but I saw some of his work. Looked good. Now that I can find better use for my time I might be interested in sending stuff out to be built. I have a ultrasonic cleaner I fill with carb cleaner. It does heat and ultrasonics also. I was spending too much time trying to clear ports and those really small orifices. Now... I put them in the cleaner for 30 minutes to an hour and they are clean.

I’m not far off then when I say 350.00 to 400.00 usd. I’ve never paid anyone to rebuild my carbs and I wouldn’t. I would love to do it for other people, I would test the the pop off, test after all back together, test the fuel pump diaphragm but I know I would go nuts from people having other issues and blamin it on the carb rebuild.
Exactly the problem. When doing carbs you are entering into other problems with the ski and engine. It snowballs... which... is why I don't work on skis for private individuals. When I restore a ski, I'm fixing everything anyway and I know what I have already done therefore the problem is much more simple to troubleshoot. Even that it can still be a real pain.

There used to be a guy on Ebay that rebuilt carbs and did a good job. I never used him but I saw some of his work. Looked good. Now that I can find better use for my time I might be interested in sending stuff out to be built. I have a ultrasonic cleaner I fill with carb cleaner. It does heat and ultrasonics also. I was spending too much time trying to clear ports and those really small orifices. Now... I put them in the cleaner for 30 minutes to an hour and they are clean.
Nice, I’ve been contemplating getting an ultra sonic cleaner but figure i don’t do enough to justify it, I’ve had good luck following Mikidymac’s carb thread. By the way, I’ve seen a few posts of people using Pine Sol in the ultrasonic for carbs.

When I first started messing with jet skis I was working on our (2) 787 GTX Seadoos. I knew nothing about the Mikuni Carbs or how they worked. I pulled both sets of carbs on both skis 5 times before I got the skis working properly. I was doing a lot of testing and I learned a lot about these carbs. I started at 23psi pop-off and worked my way up. That's the problem with people's recommendations... they lead you astray. Anyway both skis performed exactly the same. I increased pop-off, they performed the same. So I found where they need to be set on that ski. Then I find the TSB on the 97 where I had to go with slotted raves and modified rave housing. That was the ticket on the 97. Always a journey but it's fun for some of us. As a customer or ski owner with not much mechanical prowess or tools, or desire... I'd pay $500 for a guy to do a good job on the carbs and get the ski spot on.

When I first started messing with jet skis I was working on our (2) 787 GTX Seadoos. I knew nothing about the Mikuni Carbs or how they worked. I pulled both sets of carbs on both skis 5 times before I got the skis working properly. I was doing a lot of testing and I learned a lot about these carbs. I started at 23psi pop-off and worked my way up. That's the problem with people's recommendations... they lead you astray. Anyway both skis performed exactly the same. I increased pop-off, they performed the same. So I found where they need to be set on that ski. Then I find the TSB on the 97 where I had to go with slotted raves and modified rave housing. That was the ticket on the 97. Always a journey but it's fun for some of us. As a customer or ski owner with not much mechanical prowess or tools, or desire... I'd pay $500 for a guy to do a good job on the carbs and get the ski spot on.
For sure, nothing wrong with paying for a quality job of doing it yourself is not your thing. I just love that feeling of doing it myself, myself I’m still the guy being helped for the most part, but I’ve learned a ton in the last 3 years.

So if I'm not mistaken. The guy who posted that video also rebuilds carbs and can be found on the facebook group. If it isn't him than there's someone on there who does but I can't say whether or not the quality of the work is good or if its not just a scam.

Edit: his name on there is 2-smoke carb rebuilding

So if I'm not mistaken. The guy who posted that video also rebuilds carbs and can be found on the facebook group. If it isn't him than there's someone on there who does but I can't say whether or not the quality of the work is good or if its not just a scam.

Edit: his name on there is 2-smoke carb rebuilding
You are correct, 2 smoke carb rebuilding. Never used them but I really think it’s legit. By the way, I enjoy seadooforum 10 times as much as Facebook groups, just wish everyone was in here like 10 15 years ago

Facebook is garbage for real information. Mostly people's opinions and not so learned either. LOL I might hit 2-smoke up and see what he is about.
lol right, but I was poking around on the x4 group and learned that you can swap a kawi 1100 into something with a 717. So thats a rabbit hole I've been going down the last few days lol

lol right, but I was poking around on the x4 group and learned that you can swap a kawi 1100 into something with a 717. So thats a rabbit hole I've been going down the last few days lol
Man you are a masochist !! :D If I can help with parts let me know.

Man you are a masochist !! :D If I can help with parts let me know.
Appreciate it!! I have no idea if im going to do it or not. really just comes down to me not having a ton of space to put an extra ski and part ski and iIve spent way to much money over the past 9 months lol. That being said, zxi 1100s without a title seem to be very common around me lol

Not worth the trouble in my opinion. The 1100 made 120 HP but weighs a ton. The beauty of the X4 hull is the light playful ride. 787 with 110 HP is much more fun and was stock so less modification and less fuel consumption.

Nice, I’ve been contemplating getting an ultra sonic cleaner but figure i don’t do enough to justify it, I’ve had good luck following Mikidymac’s carb thread. By the way, I’ve seen a few posts of people using Pine Sol in the ultrasonic for carbs.

I love having it. Keeps most of the chemicals off my hands too. Easily fit 2 carbs in there.

Carburetor Ultrasonic Cleaner.JPG

Not worth the trouble in my opinion. The 1100 made 120 HP but weighs a ton. The beauty of the X4 hull is the light playful ride. 787 with 110 HP is much more fun and was stock so less modification and less fuel consumption.
yeah it looks like a lot of work. Around me its hard to find a x4 with a 787 that not a 96 xp that someone did a terrible job painting it black lol.
And at the end of the day I can really only have 1 more ski and I really want a standup. But those only count as half lol. And I really need a better hull for my spx.

yeah it looks like a lot of work. Around me its hard to find a x4 with a 787 that not a 96 xp that someone did a terrible job painting it black lol.
And at the end of the day I can really only have 1 more ski and I really want a standup. But those only count as half lol. And I really need a better hull for my spx.
You are motivating me to build the KILLA X4 I have in Yard. I have the same problem, Somebody painted they hull on the XP with a lame milky yellow color and put on some great graphics from the period but I don't like the paint. I've been thinking about prepping the hulll for a paint upgrade.

You are motivating me to build the KILLA X4 I have in Yard. I have the same problem, Somebody painted they hull on the XP with a lame milky yellow color and put on some great graphics from the period but I don't like the paint. I've been thinking about prepping the hulll for a paint upgrade.
I found this video last night.

Back