Sea Doo Engine Shop - 951 Carbie Premium Rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lurtz

:thumbsup: Luckily I was finally able to get my rebuilt 951 installed and broken in during this beautiful Memorial Day Weekend.

Quick background. I purchased my first boat last August an 02 Sportster LE. To properly welcome me into the wonderful world of Jet Boats, I had the joy of rebuilding pump after ingesting some rocks from a shallow rock bar in my first week of ownership :facepalm:. Everything was looking good from that point until after week number six when my crank had an unfortunate battle with a seized up counterbalancer. :willy_nilly:. Fortunately (if you can find the bright spot in a toasted engine) I was at the end of the season here in New Hampshire anyway, so I had some time to prepare my plan for getting it back on the water for next season.

I read a ton of hours worth of reading here on Seadooforum regarding the likely cause of my motor carnage. I narrowed down the likely culprit to being the counterbalancer, as when I removed the head the pistons were not seized and no sign of damage from bad rings or blow by. Being mechanically inclined I inventoried the parts necessary for a rebuild and the time needed to do the rebuild. I soon found out that with my ever shrinking free time, and the overall cost to source the proper parts and tools for rebuild, it would be best to invest my free time else where. This lead me to follow the reviews here on the forums, and after viewing generally positive reviews regarding build quality and parts used I chose the Sea Doo Engine Shop.

I called and talked to Tom about some questions I had and we established a time line for my rebuild. I purchased the 2 year no -fault premium rebuild. He said it would take between 4-6 weeks for delivery depending on parts availability and how trashed the crank was. I sent the motor in late february and recieved it in the first week of April, and boy did it look good. Everything looked in order and Tom confirmed my suspicions regarding the balancer shaft grenading my engine.

Needless to say between inclement weather, and general life duties I was not able to reinstall the engine until this last week. It really was a shame to mount my dirty manifold and accessories onto this nice looking block, but alas time was of the essence. It was going to be in the 80's all weekend!! I used SBT's Alignment Kit and replaced the mounts as the two side mounts were nearly useless and moments away from failure. I also replaced the oil injection lines with Tygon for peace of mind. All my fuel hoses had the tempo lines replaced by the PO.

Now it is time for the water!! I tried to siphon out as much of the old gas from the tank as possible. The gas probably would have been fine as I always use marine stabil in all of my equipment and motorcycles, plus I have the added bonus of Ethanol Free Premium fuel just minutes from my house, but I wanted to be as safe as possible. I refueled with about a 45:1 Premix ratio and primed the oil injection lines. The engine started just as soon as the gas made it into the carbs, and Idled around 2800 on the trailer. It did provide quite the smoke show to:blush:. I took it to the lake and over the last 3 days I have worked through about 15 gallons of gas. I used the break in methods described in various threads here where you go 20% 50% etc and constant variation of throttle input. Engine has not missed a beat and pulls really well. I have not gone full out to test top speed with GPS but I can see no reason why it should not be at my prior best of 49mph (with a tail wind :cool:).

I have not done a compression test yet, but will probably do in the next week or so when I change out the dirty plugs from my premix / injection oil break in. I will let you all know the results, but I am confident that I will find appropriate results.

So to summarize, my review of the Sea Doo Engine shop is a positive one. The engine so far appears to be well done, and the time line was met. I know that this time line may not work for everyone, but I had the winter season to complete my project. I was also keen on retaining the original block as it was never a saltwater boat, so I was able to keep my block and found that Tom has been helpful with the few questions I have had since receiving my engine and working through the installation. If I ever have the need for a rebuild I will use the Sea Doo Engine shop for sure.

Happy Boating!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious what the cost was - I really hate going to my local dealer because there is only one in upstate New York and last summer I had a blown out piston that they claimed was melted due to a lean condition from an obstructed carb jet....well about 8 weeks later I had a rebuilt top end for $1,750. Absolutely insane. I'm able to do alot of stuff to my boat but I felt like i had to call in a professional to disassemble and reassemble the more major components of the engine. When I eventually need to do the whole thing I think I might try to follow your route ....I'm guessing it was significantly less than what I spent and you got more out of it because you handled the labor yourself....Grrrr2016-06-08 13.59.12.jpg

I paid 1,049 for the premium rebuild that comes with a 2 year no fault warranty. With that I have a completely rebuilt top and bottom end. New pistons, rods, crank, rotary valve etc. plus a shiny paint job. Now I will say I did have to ship the engine out, and that was probably around 150 -175ish ? I dont remember exactly. S.E.S did ship it back on their dime.

Now as much fun as pulling the engine and stripping it down was there is something to be said about dropping the boat off and having someone else deal with the dirty grimy bilge headache!!. When I put the engine back I found it to take more time because you have to remember where everything went, and things dont always line up that easily. To add to the expense I purchased the engine alignment tool from SBT for about $170 i think. Now I may never need to pull that engine again, but I am a sucker for tools so I bought it and will keep it because I may have another ski or boat with a 951. Also my chest was sore for a few days after the engine pull out and reinstall, due to resting on the ridge of the engine hatch and fiddling with all of those bolts, cables and hoses!!! Time is money and I spent the time instead of the money, but I would have to imagine paying a shop to pull and engine is worth a few hundred bucks in it self.

BTW.. .I really dig the hydro turf scheme you have going on. I have added the dark grey diamond cut hydro turf into the online basket at least three times but have not pulled the trigger. Now that I have seen your black diamond cut with yellow background I may have to steal your idea. :cool:.

Lurtz - I understand the chest thing as I was sore from stomach all the way up and read lots of posts last year about people rigging suspension harnesses etc to be able to work hanging in a face down 45deg angle position for long periods. Great idea if you have a helper that can hand you tools etc, but my big issue was my eyesight isnt what it was so damnit I'm wearing bifocals and they only work when crap is under your nose, not at all kinds of different distances and upside down.

I literally just added the Hydroturf this last week for a cost of about $340 due to the color and cut configuration. The wake tower and Bimini are also new this last week. I have to say both of those together makes this 14ft boat feel like a completely different thing altogether. If I had a windshield I might actually think I had a real bowrider. :) My dog loves the Hydroturf and it reduces his anxiety 90% because he isn't sliding all around now. The tower and Bimini are the best investment ever I think because it allows me to have more storage for water toys, more handholds, and a structure now to pull tubes and other toys from GREATLY reducing drag because the rope never touches the water while pulling. BTW the turf you want is labeled as 01 Challenger / Sportster DI (01-05).....it fit my 03 Sportster LE perfect.

I really like your tower. Where did you get it from? Injust installed a carver 3 bow bimini top over memorial day weekend, and it makes the boat alot more pleasurable on the cloudless sunny days. I was thinking about my dog as well when considering the hydro turf. That and it looks cool.

Well I am off to 5 days on the lake. I will work in a compression test of my rebuild that I promised before.

Happy Boating!

It's a monster tower MT1....not as expensive as you might think as it was just under $1300 even with the bimini....I think without the bimini it was about 650 approx....true test of the hydroturf with your dog is to have him jump up on the boat while it's on the trailer....my guy will walk all around the boat now while it's in the driveway and is alot more comfortable with it. I was out last night with friends and played around on a sand bar for a while when everyone got back in the boat they dragged all kinds of mud and sand with them it was awesome it all just jammed down into the diamond cuts and wasn't thought of again until I got home to hose it out.....have fun this weekend I'm sure the front passing thru here will be on you by sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back