Sea-Doo 1998/1999 GTX LTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchase - 1998/1999 GTX LTD w/ trailer
1616008021089.png
Price - $375

Details - This Sea-doo has NO 951 engine. It has every other part and has been sitting for 2 or 3 years. I was able to find a broken down 1999 GTX LTD (also has hull damage) that has a complete 951 engine and the entire ski will only cost $200.

Plan - Evaluate the engine, determine what needs to be rebuilt (top end, crank, balance etc). Rebuild carbs, replace fuel lines, evaluate jet pump and wear ring.

Question - What suggestions do you guys have for a newbie going into this?

Last edited:
Suggestion is buy one already running.

If you buy these you a $600 into two skis that don’t run. Engine rebuild is $1000 carb rebuild and maintenance items another $500 so if you a lucky one running ski for $2100 and lots of hours of work.

Suggestion is buy one already running.

If you buy these you a $600 into two skis that don’t run. Engine rebuild is $1000 carb rebuild and maintenance items another $500 so if you a lucky one running ski for $2100 and lots of hours of work.
I've been searching for about 2 weeks and have not found many skis under $1000 that run. Which was the goal, I see it like this; I get 2 skis and 1 trailer for $575. One has no engine but has all of its other parts, meaning if 1/3 of the parts are fine on both skis I could sell them and make my money back. Same scenario with the trailer, which goes for at least $400.

Seems like a good deal. Here in michigan a non running 951 ski goes for 800 no trailer Running with trailer 3500.

Beware 98 and 99 are very different. 98 has a single coil and 99 has a duel. magneto timing cups are different, MPEMs are different. Pump impeller shafts are different.Gauge packages are different. Good luck

Also could someone explain what it means to have 1 coil instead of 2 in terms of performance? Is a 98 gtx ltd going to be slower than a 99 or 00 DI?

Last edited:
Also could someone explain what it means to have 1 coil instead of 2 in terms of performance? Is a 98 gtx ltd going to be slower than a 99 or 00 DI?
no difference in performance, but the coil sender must match the computer / e-box in the hull. (the 98 must go with a 98)... the 98 was the first year of the 951 (tehnically there was a 97.5 951)... I'd skip the 98. The 99 added improvements. the 2002 was the peak and last of the carb 951.

they should all have about the same performance. all are same block, 130 HP, 7200 RPM limiter.
Most dealers won't touch these old ones anymore. if you can turn a wrench, get the 99 carb. the 99-02 carb 951 is my fav engine.

The DI was suppose to be an improvement, with better fuel consumption, less pollution, etc. and when new, yes, it was, and yes it worked. But it's TWENTY PLUS years old, and those high pressure low power fuel pumps are not cheap. The computer/electronics are much more complex. It's good when they work, but at 20 years old... you're just asking for punishment. it's a boat with a jet drive and it's 2 stroke... it will never have amazing MPG...

fairly certain that is a 1998 - the last 2 digits of the HIN should be the year. 98 = 1998. it's etched into the rear of the hull on the right near the deck join i believe.

fairly certain that is a 1998 - the last 2 digits of the HIN should be the year. 98 = 1998. it's etched into the rear of the hull on the right near the deck join i believe.
I'll be able to see for sure on saturday, but if it is a 98 does that mean its a bad deal? Would it be possible to upgrade some of the internals to 2002 parts?

no, you just have to be aware that you'll need to make sure any parts you buy are 98 specific. the 99-02 are more interchangable and may be easier to obtain.

What size ngk spark plugs does the 99 Gtx limited use? Should I change the sp wires also? I'm about to buy a 99 that looks like it's been sitting for awhile as well. Let me know, I know this forum is a couple months old. I bought a battery already, because most of the skis advertised out here in So Cal, need batteries. Thanks Joe Go

What size ngk spark plugs does the 99 Gtx limited use? Should I change the sp wires also? I'm about to buy a 99 that looks like it's been sitting for awhile as well. Let me know, I know this forum is a couple months old. I bought a battery already, because most of the skis advertised out here in So Cal, need batteries. Thanks Joe Go
Please start your own thread. It gets confusing when you start asking different questions in someone's thread.

Beware 98 and 99 are very different. 98 has a single coil and 99 has a duel. magneto timing cups are different, MPEMs are different. Pump impeller shafts are different.Gauge packages are different. Good luck
Good Info !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back