Scupper Valve Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

capp6112

So I tend to leave my boat docked for extended periods of time (two weeks or so) and wasnt sure that if the scupper valve drained while the boat was in the water not being driven. Or if it even does work when the boat is being driven. I have a reliable cover and there isnt any reason the inside of the boat should take on any water, but as we all know anything can happen. Thanks.

And i dont know if this makes any difference but it is the original scupper valve on a 2000 challenger 1800.

Yes, the scupper should work just sitting in the water...

Scupper valves are simple things that work via differential water pressure. If you have water in the passenger compartment, it is (hopefully! {grin}) higher than the outside water and therefore exerts pressure on the valve so it can seek its common level and flow out. Once the levels are equal, there is no outbound pressure so the valve should close on its own.

Rain or snow accumulating in the passenger compartment can slowly fill the scupper hose, eventually exerting enough pressure to open the valve. Lather, rinse, repeat.

On the other hand, if you have a leak that leads into the bilge (engine compartment), that's BELOW the waterline and therefore requires some sort of assistance to get out. Hence your bilge pump, which is generally wired around the main battery switch so the boat will stay afloat even if "everything" is turned off. At least until your battery dies, at which time if you're still taking on water your boat will slowly sink. Long before that, though, you'll submerge your engine(s) and have a whole new boat restoration hobby.

Bottom line: If you leave ANY boat docked in the water for extended periods, you need to make certain your battery stays charged, and that you minimize any entry path for water into the bilge.

Scupper...?

I replaced my original scupper a couple years back with a PVC ball valve. The original for my boat is a 4 fold piece of rubber on the inside of the hose, about mid way back, and not reliable at all. The scupper is really designed to keep water out of the cockpit while using he boat. Docked, at idle or even on plane, water will not flow in backward through the scupper because like stated in the first reply, the level and angle of the hose. But, when you come off plane, water will run up against the transom of the boat and force water into the cockpit. Or, if your at anchor, loading the back of the boat for swimming, water will come in and get your feet wet.

Yours is the ball valve built into a cup and screwed onto the back of the hull. Its more reliable than mine but I have seen leaves or an acorn get into it and render it useless.

I leave my valve open when tied up to the dock (I have waterfront) and closed when using it. If the swimmers start to bring in to much water, I simply open it for a while, then close it back off.

The boats are suppose to be designed "not to sink". I have never tested that theory, only read about it. They will submerge the engine compartment but there is suppose to be a natural bouyancy built into the design, outside of styrofoam in a few strategic areas.........

Folks, I responded to this thread as "WAJetboating"...

...but now my response has disappeared. Furthermore, my "WAJetboating" account has been "disabled". I've created a new IDJetboating account until the problem can be resolved.

Can anyone else still see my response in this thread? I cannot, but some of my other responses in other threads are still visible. Any idea what is going on? Anyone else having or hearing reports of account problems?

Thanks!

Correction: Account has been "banned"...?!?

Here is the message I'm receiving when I log in as WAJetboating:

-----
You have been banned for the following reason:
SeaDoo/Merc 240EFI JetBoater's Forum

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
-----

My responses in some threads have disappeared. They are still visible in other threads.

I'm baffled. Hope this helps diagnose the problem. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Snipe, I have a plastic ball inside a 3 prong cage acting as my scupper valve and it gets leaf stems jammed in there also, I take a 5 gallon bucket as full as I dare and tip it into the foot well to clear out that stuff while I atempt to get the seats out.

Go read the rules you agreed to when you registered. My guess is linking to another competing website or something like that. Im sure its not personal.

KH

Here is the message I'm receiving when I log in as WAJetboating:

-----
You have been banned for the following reason:
SeaDoo/Merc 240EFI JetBoater's Forum

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
-----

My responses in some threads have disappeared. They are still visible in other threads.

I'm baffled. Hope this helps diagnose the problem. Please let me know.

Thanks!

This is an old thread but I thought I would post my question here. Does anyone know what size the scupper hose is? I think it's bigger than 1 1/8" bilge hose. I stepped on it and it cracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back