RX Fuel line replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashnic

I have a 2001 RX that I recently purchased. The ski ran pretty good but I think carbs may need adjusted some and I have also read quite a bit about fuel lines being replaced? What do I need to look for to identify if my lines need replaced? I think my idle needs adjusted so why I am learning how to do this I may as well replace the lines if needed.

If you have grey tempo fuel lines they need to be replaced. If you do get back to us and we'll help.

Lou

You'll need to replace the fuel lines, clean the main fuel filter, clean or replace the fuel selector valve and at least clean the carb. filters.

This link will explain everything in detail, pay particular attention to the links, there's a lot of good information here.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...el-Delivery-Problems-low-revs-bogging-surging

The only point where I differ is the hose clamps, I use quality 1/4" cable ties, I think they clamp better, easier to use, and cheaper. If you use the cable ties, get good ones, I bought mine at Graybar Electric, Panduit brand, get the black ones.

Lou

Great read...and good info..thanks..I'm pretty handy but the carbs scare me a bit..Might go ahead and change the lines then find someone local to clean the carbs and change filters...looks a little challenging to me..I also have a 01 GTX that probably needs the same thing. Both are low hour machines..50 on RX 70 on GTX....so hopefully nothing is to junked up..

You might get lucky and only need to clean the carb. filters. All I had to do was clean the filters, not much gunk in the carbs.

Lou

Anyone in the Dayton Ohio area that has done the carb filter/fuel lines on a 951 that may be able to give a little guidance?

Ok Lou...got my fuel line, clamps and carb cleaner...I am going to start tackling this tomorrow evening...stay close to your computer!!

O.K. good deal, just do one at a time, tape the new hose to the old hose and just pull it through. You only have to replace the fuel delivery hoses, you can leave the vent lines.

I think the 951 uses some 3/8" fuel line, not sure how much, hate to tell you this I've never done a 951, but there are guys on this form that have.

If we need to we'll get help for Dr Honda.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
The carbs on the 951 on are on the left side of the ski. There are 4 bolts holding the breather on. 3 of them you can see and get to very easily, the other is under. I was told by a friend who works on them that it takes a special tool to reach that bolt.

boyd

better go ahead an order a fuel selector valve while you are doing it. Just to make sure.
I got 1/2 way done then had to wait 2 days for my fuel selector valve.

boyd

Where is the best place to order parts from online? The closest Seadoo dealer to me is about 60 miles in Cincinnati.

On second thought, why don't you wait and see if you need a new one? It's easy enough to bypass the valve and install the new one later. It's 35.00 you might not need to spend.

You can order directly from this site, just click PARTS at the top of this page.

Lou

Wow, you might want to check with Parker Yamaha, or EBay. If I remember I got mine from EBay, but it was an aftermarket part. Of course the other option in to clean the one you have. If you clean the one you have, don't use carb. cleaner, I think I ruined mine when I cleaned it.
Take it apart and let it soak in Castrol Super Clean or equivalent.

Lou

Will do...also do I need to remove the baffle/filter in the tank? Empty tank and all..some say yea..but again my doo only has 50 hrs, and runs pretty good...what do you think? It sounds like a real pain to pull...

You shouldn't need to remove the linkage, take them both out at the same time. Just remove the linkage (cable) from the front, mag. side carb. Should just be 2 nuts holding the cable. Loosen the nuts, there's a little round metal piece that goes in a notch in a semicircular piece on the carb. I'm going from mine which is a 787 but should be similar.

This is really kinda hard to explain, do you have a manual?

Lou

well Lou, at least you aren't up to your old tricks. When I did my carbs and asked how to remove the linkage, you told me to use bolt cutters.

Jake, I don't have my bolt cutters anymore, I sent them to your sister.

Seriously can you help out here, its really hard to explain?

Lou

Yea any help would be appreciated...I have the carbs laying in the bottom of the hull...also I do not have the choke off either...guiandance please..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back