Run engine while jet pump removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelake

I have the pump removed on my Wake 215 while I wait for a replacement wear ring and impeller to arrive. Is there any reason I cannot run the engine while the pump is removed? I wouldn't run it beyond idle, I just want to test a couple of things since it wasn't running well when the wear ring was eaten...

I would think you'd be ok as long as you have a hose going to it. But they get hot kind of quick. Very hard to diagnose on a hose as they ALMOST always run better since there is no load on the engine.

If you remove the driveshaft, it will shoot oil all over the place out the back. You could stuff a rag in the opening but not really smart to do. I don't recommend running it without the pump on, the driveshaft will bounce around. I've done it but you need to be careful, things could go bad quickly.

I ran it for a couple of seconds at idle and the drive shaft started wobbling pretty badly so I shut it down. I really just wanted to hear it start since my wear-ring-jamming-in-the-pump issue caused it to die completely. The new impeller is due to arrive on Thursday so I'll just have to wait a few days more.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back