Returned a gallon of Seadoo XPS 2 oil today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as Bombardier makes 2 stroke sleds, they will continue to make XPS 2. And I don't see the 600 and 800 Etec motors in their sleds going away anytime soon.

I should have clarified... I meant that I can see the "aftermarket" more affordable oils getting discontinued by the big chains. At some point, it does not pay for them to keep stock on the shelf for our outdated machines.

They used to have two versions of the low ash. One non synthetic and a full synthetic version. They discontinued the non synthetic. I bought about 15 gallons of the stuff at $17 per gallon when they cleared them out. Think I visited almost every Walmart in Ohio to scoop it all up! LOL....

NICE! There's only one walmart around me that carries it. Last time I was in there I didn't see the full syn stuff. Just boat stuff now. :( Oh well I'll just keep ordering my xpsII from amazon. Now it's $47 shipped.

my local stealer sells xpsII for 46.69 i buy mine on ebay from penn state for the same price shipped and have it within 2 to 3 days. saves on gas to make the 24 mi round trip to dealer:)

if you plan ahead you can get XPS 2 nearly as cheap as the quicksilver stuff. there's an ebay seller that runs deals at the end of the season on gallons with free shipping for like $38.

If I burn a tank of that quicksilver (to the point where it is practically out of the system, could I switch back to xps-2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

if you plan ahead you can get XPS 2 nearly as cheap as the quicksilver stuff. there's an ebay seller that runs deals at the end of the season on gallons with free shipping for like $38.

The entire reason I run Quicksilver is so I don't have to plan that far ahead. Heck, I may decide to buy 4 stroke skis next month... I just do it since there is not a dealer near me and Wallyworld is a 5 minute drive. And they sell the stuff as some lake ramp shops and autoparts stores.

If I burn a tank of that quicksilver (to the point where it is practically out of the system, could I switch back to xps-2?

i think if you're running your skis enough that you go through multiple gallons (approx one full oil tank is a gallon) of oil per season, i wouldn't worry too much about the mixing issues.

i know someone on here mixed two different kinds of oil together in a jar and left them for over a year and observed zero "gelling" which is the worry with mixing oils.

I know that many will say drain the entire system and flush BUT... I think if you get the tank emptied and change the oil filter, you should be ok... I would never do this at the end of the season though. Do it at the start of the season where you are going to get the remaining oil in the lines moving thru the pump quickly.

Ah, ya gotta love oil threads, no matter WHAT the forum!

It seems a lot of folk have had decent luck using Quicksilver. I'll continue to use Sea Doo oil myself. OEMs spend billions on R&D and know what is best. Granted, they'll want to earn as much money as they can 'after the sale' of the machine, that is jus smart business strategy, but rather than trying to 'scare' people into using only Sea Doo oil, I suspect the real reason is to avoid oil-related engine damage giving the brand a bad reputation.

k,ill enter this oil talk. I run lucas, they sponsor my kids in desert racing,my rep said ,,,,," if our oil burns up those stupid ski engines,ill but you new engines"! lol,well,they been runnin perfect for 3 years, 170hours on the 951 ski now.engine had 1 hour on it when we started using lucas. 28 buks a gallon at oriellys.

k,ill enter this oil talk. I run lucas, they sponsor my kids in desert racing,my rep said ,,,,," if our oil burns up those stupid ski engines,ill but you new engines"! lol,well,they been runnin perfect for 3 years, 170hours on the 951 ski now.engine had 1 hour on it when we started using lucas. 28 buks a gallon at oriellys.

WOAH! What lucas oil? I used to be hell bent on using their fuel injector/system cleaner every oil change back in the day in my old Jeep.

WOAH! What lucas oil? I used to be hell bent on using their fuel injector/system cleaner every oil change back in the day in my old Jeep.

Go to oriellys website and search 2 stroke oil. Will see the Lucas low ash api-tc oil. $30 in my neck of the woods but still cheaper than quicksilver

Lucas doesn't make a full synthetic, the synthetic blend is probably O.K. for a 787 or smaller, I wouldn't use it in a 951.

Lou

Just curious, why not in a 951?

The skirts of the pistons get sloppy in the bores. They get chattery and eventually give. Then they break rods and cases and such when they blow. It's a lot of hp to ask out of two cylinders that are under load all the time. I think it just the wrong place to try to save a buck.

Got to love these oil threads.....

The easy answer is that seadoo calls for low ash API-TC full synthetic in the 787 and 951 so any oil that complies with these two requirements will be fine. Go ride the darn thing. If it blows up it probably would have on the XPS too.

All of the companies that make it can be found for about $38 per gallon if you search hard enough so price should not be the argument. IF you need to save $2 per gallon you are in the wrong hobby.

Got to love these oil threads.....

IF you need to save $2 per gallon you are in the wrong hobby.

Amen, brother. Not judging, mind you, but it never ceases to amaze me that someone can have an expensive 'toy' but then try to cheap out on support items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back