Returned a gallon of Seadoo XPS 2 oil today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaDooGood

Because I found the Quicksilver PWC 2 stroke full synthetic oil today for a good bit cheaper ($38 as oppose to $55 for the XPS) and more abundant all while closer to my home. I walked into the stealership (I mean dealership lol) and told them I wanted to return it and they asked me why. So I honestly told them I found a cheaper alternative closer to my house and the guy at the counter (who was playing on his phone) asked what was the other brand I bought. So I told him the Quicksilver PWC 2 stroke full synthetic low ash API-TC oil and his exact words were "I would highly, highly, highly, HIGHLY not recommend using that brand." Knowing he was full of BS, I asked him why not and he couldn't even give me a legitimate reason lol. All he said was "I've heard of too many problems caused by using that oil." Needless to say, I insisted on the refund which the other guy processed and walked out feeling great!

Last edited by a moderator:
$55.00 $38.oo thats only 4 dollars more a quart,(ok, $4.25 ) I'll stick with the AMSOIL interceptor oil,
been using amsoil in performance marine engines, and outdrives for 10+ years, best oil out there in my
opnion. and the engines i"m talking about are supercharged 500+ cid $40-60,000 stuff! not $1000.00
oil is the most important thing for the life of the engine, I don't skimp on the oil! it costs what it costs,
just my opinion, buy what you want......

$55.00 $38.oo thats only 4 dollars more a quart,(ok, $4.25 ) I'll stick with the AMSOIL interceptor oil,
been using amsoil in performance marine engines, and outdrives for 10+ years, best oil out there in my
opnion. and the engines i"m talking about are supercharged 500+ cid $40-60,000 stuff! not $1000.00
oil is the most important thing for the life of the engine, I don't skimp on the oil! it costs what it costs,
just my opinion, buy what you want......

I actually looked for Amsoil Interceptor, but couldn't find it anywheres close by.

I run the Quicksilver in my 01 GTX RFI. Works great and you are right - a mere $4+ per quart difference.

I have Amsoil in my 4 tec.

-Dave
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ebay has XPS-2 for $47 shipped all the time.

Does your dealer have a website? If so could you post it or just the name? I'd like to check something out.

I ordered xps2 off amazon last year for $44 prime shipped. I don't mind that difference, but damn if I'd pay $55 a gallon.

You should ALL and I mean EVERYONE check you local dealers website. Here is the link to your dealers site which clearly states $46.99 per gallon. They SHOULD honor that online price. Mine is the same thing $46.99 but in store you get mugged for $53.99. I no longer buy online I go right to my dealer. I pulled no smoke, no mirrors just good old fashioned interwebs search. I have stated this same exact thing countless time here, I hate seeing people waste money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.lafayettepowersports.com...uct_1855672.XPS_Stroke_Full_Synthetic_Oil.htm

You should ALL and I mean EVERYONE check you local dealers website. Here is the link to your dealers site which clearly states $46.99 per gallon. They SHOULD honor that online price. Mine is the same thing $46.99 but in store you get mugged for $53.99. I no longer buy online I go right to my dealer. I pulled no smoke, no mirrors just good old fashioned interwebs search. I have stated this same exact thing countless time here, I hate seeing people waste money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.lafayettepowersports.com...uct_1855672.XPS_Stroke_Full_Synthetic_Oil.htm

Never really thought about looking at their website or getting them to price match! I guess you are right though, should've been more mindful. Anyways, I know it beating a dead horse as to which oil to use. From what I've gathered, any low ash full synthetic api-tc oil will work fine and the quicksilver is always available a lot closer to my home so I'll stick with that for now.

The PO of my ski ran XPS2 so I continue to do so, I already skimp and run 87 octane in the ski lol. I have heard good things about the quicksilver oil but I prefer to play it safe. Let us know how you like the oil.

Use which ever you like, I drink my kool-aid from the yellow container. Always have, always will.

87 octane is just fine, look in the operators guide that is what is called for IIRC.

If you can't find it on your local dealers website just post the site and I'll check it out. About 90% have the correct website to do so.

I have started purchasing Quicksilver Full Synthetic (for PWCs) by the gallon. Hopefully I'll be able to get them running enough to notice an improvement over some Pennzoil stuff we used a bit back.

I have started purchasing Quicksilver Full Synthetic (for PWCs) by the gallon. Hopefully I'll be able to get them running enough to notice an improvement over some Pennzoil stuff we used a bit back.

I sitll got a little bit of the old oil left in the lines and engine, but hopefully that will burn off after a few rides and from then on I can stick to the correct oil.

I really wouldn't recommend changing oil brands. Some brands are not compatible with other oils, so if you are currently using XPS2 synthetic I would stick with it. If you shop around you can find it at a good price. I get mine from Mosites in PA for about $45.00 shipped.

If you do decide to switch you will need to drain the oil tank, change the oil filter, add the new oil and bleed the system. There are many threads on the subject.

Now where's that cat?

Lou

Just calm down meow.
I run the XPS-II off eBay ar $47-50/gallon and have incurred no oil related issues.

Let's get back to ridin meow.

I like racer always get the online price, and then they ALWAYS knock 10% off if you buy a whole case compared to just one (3 in a case). They will even let me do 2 full synthetics and 1 semi synthetic for my 720 and vise versa. Ask if they will do a bulk price, little more up front, but good in the long haul

I've always read about the high cost of XPS-II, but honestly I've never paid more than $40/gallon from my dealer in town. Their price varies from time to time, but it's usually about $38/gallon. Based on that price, I've never had a second thought about using a different brand.

Didn't they discontinue the quicksilver oil a while back?

They used to have two versions of the low ash. One non synthetic and a full synthetic version. They discontinued the non synthetic. I bought about 15 gallons of the stuff at $17 per gallon when they cleared them out. Think I visited almost every Walmart in Ohio to scoop it all up! LOL....

Didn't they discontinue the quicksilver oil a while back?
They just discontinued their lower end oil, not the full synthetic. I use the full syn oil in all 3 787's. So far the raves look fine and I have seen no issues. But I only used about a gallon and a half per ski last season. I use it cause it is easier to get here more than anything.

Meow, hiss, purr, brraaappp!...

I can only imagine it will not be long before even the full synthetic is discontinued. A dwindling market as time goes on for low ash API-TC oil....

As long as Bombardier makes 2 stroke sleds, they will continue to make XPS 2. And I don't see the 600 and 800 Etec motors in their sleds going away anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back