Repair seat on 98 Sportster 1800 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

swill777

The seat was like this when I bought the boat.. looks like someone didn't know how it worked and just pulled on it. Anyways, have any of you guys successfully fixed one of these? I was thinking about cutting out some kind of plastic in the shape of the "key hole" type design and glueing it behind and in front of the broken pieces that are there now. The problem is that the seat just doesn't stay on the boat, due to the plastic being cracked and expanded. I am guessing that a new seat would be pretty expensive. The pics are a little blurry, but you'll see what I mean. Any suggestions?

boatseat1.jpg

boatseat2.jpg

boatseat3.jpg

boatseat4.jpg

boatseat5.jpg

I would just pull the seat cushion apart and get it fixed, or bring it to a upholstery shop to have it done.

Karl

I'm sure if you call around to upholstery shops they could answer you questions on the job.

Karl

try very carefully to drill small holes on either side of the cracks and use a stainless wire to stich or twist it snug. twist on the under side of the panel then tuck it under. Then use some plastic specific epoxy to embed the surfaces along with the 'stitching'. OR........ cut out some thin stainless sheetmetal with the keyhole opening and rivet to some good areas of the plastic.

We used a two part plastic repair kit, that once cured was very strong plastic, it could be drilled and sanded. Bad thing is i can't recall the name of the product. Will do some searching see if i can find it.

Gunsrunner.. so you had the same problem??? I was thinking of going the stainless steel sheetmetal route, cutting it in the same pattern, then epoxying it in there... seems stronger than repairing the plastic.. but I would definitely be interested in knowing what product you used, if you can find out. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back