Polaris jet skis

Twisty

Ibwas looking t a 1999 Polaris jet skis has like 82 hours on it hual in good shape. What do you think the price is without the trailer 1051 cc

HI,

Not too many Polaris people here on Seadoo site but who knows.

Could throw up some pictures to have better opinion.

But as with any ski WATER TEST a must. Otherwise make sure engine turns over and check compression is a must

Since your in Ohio that may be a problem as I read your other posts .....

polaris stopped making PWCs around 2004 so parts might be an issue. also i wouldn't bother with the SL, SLT, SLX type skis, basically the same design they used from the early 1990s. the virages from 01 on were better skis, and aren't expensive IMO to really justify buying one of the older ones. they go for under 2k on cl around here all the time. however, knowing that their value is going to be plummeting over the next few years i'd consider it a "throw away" ski because once something breaks that you can't find, its basically an expensive buoy.

That is a really good point Strizzo i never thought about parts, and in the long run that could be a huge money pit!

Polaris parts are easy to get... and they officially only stopped making parts last summer. To be very honest... Polaris had better parts support than SeaDoo ever has. The down side is that there is no dealer support, so as long as you can do your own work... Do not be scared to buy a Polaris.

With that said... Polaris ski's shouldn't be too expensive. Depending on the trailer, and what model it is... I would say $1000 to $2000 is all.

The 99 and 2000 Polaris skis, with the "Domestic" engine have a few known issues.

1) The "LR" module is weak. It controls the start/stop, power, and voltage regulation. If it hasn't been replaced, it's going to need to be. A new one will run you $115 to $150.

2) on the 99 there was an ignition upgrade. It's a new stator, and CDI. Chances are, it's already been done. BUT... find out. The upgrade kit is getting hard to find, and it is about $200.

3) Some times they have a hard to re-start issue. There is a fix for it... and it's free. If you buy it, I'll show you what to do.

4) The hour meter can be wrong. Every once in a while... when changing the battery... the display will reset. If it's an injected engine... the FITCH computer will have the real time stored.

5) If it's an injected ski... I would pass on it. The injected parts are VERY expensive if you have an issue.

Anyway... I like Polaris. The engines are VERY good if taken care of, and fed the proper oil. Speaking of that... Polaris originally allowed the use of synthetic TC-w3 oils... but just before they shut down... they changed to API-TC oils. Also... the compression should be around 125 psi cold, on a "Domestic" engine. (it will be red and black)

Let us know what it is, and the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see absolutely no good reason to buy a ski which the company (Polaris) is no longer in the business of making. If it were me, I'd buy either a SeaDoo or a Yamaha. The companies are still in the business, the skis' are everywhere and so are the parts. No brainer!!

I see absolutely no good reason to buy a ski which the company (Polaris) is no longer in the business of making. If it were me, I'd buy either a SeaDoo or a Yamaha. The companies are still in the business, the skis' are everywhere and so are the parts. No brainer!!

What the heck are you talking about !!!!!! Polaris is still in biz, and many of the dealers will work on them. (but not all) Parts are EZ to find since they just stopped supporting them last summer... even thought they stopped production on the skis in 2004.

Based on your response... we should only be riding Seadoo 4-tech's... since Seadoo hasn't supported the 2 strokes since 2005, and all those nice Merc powered boats (from 2000 to 2006) SeaDoo almost doesn't' even acknowledge their existence.

I like seadoo... but to be very honest, they are one of the worst companies for real "Support."

Don't bash on things that you don't know about.

now that is a bit extreme, you just have to know what you're walking into, and decide if the deal is right or not. we had an 02 virage back when my parents lived on a lake that was a great ski. if the price is right, its a calculated risk. obviously you wouldn't want to pay "seadoo" money for one, but prices are very reasonable for what they are right now.

Hey guys, I just seen a real good deal on a Yugo in the paper. They're no longer in production. There aren't any dealers but I hear you can still get parts for them. What do ya think? Should I go take a look at it? :cheers:

because that's a completely reasonable comparison.

again, if you know what you're getting into, that getting parts might take some doing and you'll have to do most work yourself, and are comfortable with the price then sure go for it, but probably not a good ski for someone looking to get into their first PWC since if they get in over their head there won't be much help available from a shop, but if someone is familiar with how the things work and knows how/where to get replacement parts, then it can be a good value. i would liken it more to buying a SAAB or pontiac or saturn than to a Yugo. there are at least people still in business that used to work on them.

Yea, I know Strizzo. I was just goofing around. Actually, I totally agree with your thoughts on this Polaris issue. Believe it or not, I like Polaris. I owned a couple of SLT750 back in the day. They were fun, reliable and durable machines. But that was then and this is now. Unfortunately, they're going the way of the Tigershark and I don't see them as "owner friendly" anymore. I see SeaDoo and Yamaha as the Ford and Chevy of jetskis'. I don't see any sense in buying Saturn when you have all of those Fords and Chevy's out there that will do the same thing. :cheers:

Back