Outboard engine trouble

kilgorekb

If yall know a good forum for outboards, please share.

I have a 2-stroke 1985 Mariner 75 on my pontoon that is giving me trouble. It's been this way since I got it. When in gear, it won't go over 3500 rpm (20 mph.) After about 30 minutes, it won't go over 2500 (10 mph.) Water is coming out the pisser. Water is coming out like a waterfall between the shaft and engine. I'm not familiar with the anatomy of outboards so that's about the best description I can give. If anyone has an idea, let me know. I don't have the money to try lots of stuff, so if I can't fix it, then I'll probably have to sell it.

I worked on one of those Mariners this week, I really like that little motor. This one had a bad ignition switch at the helm, would run great out of the cove and across the lake then just QUIT. The ignition switch was old and worn out, corroded inside or something like that.

"Water is coming out like a waterfall between the shaft and engine."

This sounds like a gasket has let go, or the water pump impeller tube that feeds water up to the power head is damaged/missing the grommet.

I didn't notice where the pizzer on this one was being fed from, if it was the top of block or bottom, but if the pizzer feeds off the bottom that still doesn't tell you for sure there's water up in the top.

I'd attach some hose muffs on that and see if water exits the exhaust while running as it's supposed to and I'd lay a hand on the block to see if it's getting hot. I'd grab a manual too, and look over the assembly drawings.

Back