One Choice: Stereo or Hydro-turf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a nice head unit. I looked at it but I didnt like how big it was. You can find it on ebay for 180 with free shipping. Also nice choice on the speakers. They are on ebay for 99 with free shipping.

If I were you i would go with a system similar to RFoster.. Ask us questions about cutting the holes though. We both have had to do that. I used a Roto Zip from craftsman, but I think RFoster had better luck with a hole saw I believe. The Kenwood, and Rock fosgate equipment should be good to go. The only thing about the black Hydroturf is that it shows seems to show dirt and seems to hold it in, but nothing a pressure wash won't take care of! I wish I had known about the Camo Black/white Pattern when i got mine; I think that would be pretty awesome on our boats! Just make sure your head unit has room to add remotes, I would be lost if I couldn't control my headunit from the pilot seat. i am in the process of shopping for another AMP to drive some subwoofers, but not sure where I would put it.. Rich do you think the Alpine you have would fit in the passenger compartment in the upper section to one side of the stereo? I hate to get rid of the Sony I have mounted in the lower section of the compartment. I am goin to put some computer fans in there to get some circulation goin though...

After some more consideration I am thinking about going with JBL speakers and AMP. JBLs have good reviews and I can cover the cost of the AMP by going ot those over the Rockford Fosgates. It seems like everyone ends up with an AMP so I might as well start off with one. Should I go ahead and go with a 2nd battery? Parallel or series with isolation Perc switch?

Speakers & Amp:
JBL 6.5 Marine
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013D210U/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2LYDS8AIU9VMR
JBL 6X9 Marine
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F3PSZO/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2LYDS8AIU9VMR
JBL Marine AMP
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N3S83K/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3H89ADJHTH9SN

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ordered the Hydro-Turf. Since it was a custom 2 tone diamond groove it cost a little more than I expected but I really think its going to look great. They have to use to 2 seperate sheets of HT to make it so it will take a little longer since it's not stock. Should have it in a week or so.

One again ebay is the place to go. Like 65 per set of the 6.5's and 101 for the amp. I wouldnt waste the time on 6x9's though. Either stick to no subs or use 10" subs. If you want to use subs you will need an amp that can handle them and the smaller speakers.

Read my thread on my setup and you will see lots of comments and tips.

Also, there are several ways to do the 2nd battery. The way I did it is the easiest and requires a new switch. There are other ways though. It just comes to personal preference. Just figure out what you want and what you will be happy with. We are here for all your questions though. I wouldnt have done what I did without all the help here.

Unfortunately I didn't. had to use some paypal credit I had sitting around and ordered through eBay. Would have saved me some $ if I had ordered through PWC Muscle!!!:banghead:

yeah Rich , I am still debating using your method for the second battery, or doing the isolator way..each has its pros and cons...will probably wind up goin with the switch like you did.. just got my new trailer bunks done !

Flyingarmy, I forgot to say before but make sure to wire it in parallel. If you do it in a series you double the voltage and will fry everything.

Speakers arrived, still waiting on the Kenwood Stereo, JBL Amp and Hydro-turf. Dang snow last week messed up delivery around this area. I can't wait to see the Hydro-turf.:D

Yeah i am excited to see how the turf looks. Sounds like you have a lot of work to do before it warms up.

UPS finally delivered the Kenwood stereo. Head is a little bigger than I though but seems like a well built peice of equipment. Still debating about an AMP, but I'd rather go large and not need it than have to do it again later. I didn't order a remote, but after looking at the stereo I will order one that I can control the radio from the drivers side.

Hydro-Turf is being delivered today, I'll post up some pics tonight when I get home.

The size of the Kenwood head units is the main reason I didnt buy one. They are nice but kinda big.

What are you looking at as far as AMPS? I would pick something that will run everything you may install. It may cost a bit more, but saves you from having to swap it out at a later date. They are also hard to make your money back on if you wanna sell it.

Took the plunge and just ordered a JBL MA6004 4 channel Amp. Might as well put it in while I am putting in the stereo. can't wait to get started on the install.

A few questions for the group:

Where is a good place to find a 5" hole saw?

Marine Grade RCA cables?

Any install advice?

Thanks in advance!

If you go back and find the thread here that I did, there is some good tips and info. But here are the answers to your questions.

1. Harbor Freight. You can get a hole saw kit for like 8 bucks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-2-1-2-half-inch-5-inch-hole-saw-kit-with-case-36222.html

2. Ebay. its really the best place for stuff like this. Tsunami is what you need to search for. If you mount the amp where I did, you only need the 1.5 ft cables. they are like 3 bucks. Ebay item 330511020853

3. I can give ya lots of tips. Take your time. Wear long sleeves while cutting the holes. Buy a fish tape for running the wires. Where you putting the amp? My thread has lots of info, but let me know if you have any specific questions.

Good Luck!!!!

I just looked up that amp. It is kinda big to fit under the cooler in the compartment. I think you may get it in there, just a little snug.

Guess I should have checked that first huh? Well, we'll find out, if not it's going back.

Great price on the Harbor Frieght 5" Hole Saw. Have to order one. Looks like it will make cutting the speaker holes much easier. Thanks!

Got the Hydro-Turf in...and initial impression is the quality is great. Looks like it will last many seasons in the sun. I love the Black with Yellow grooves but my only complaint, a major one, is that the cut groove leave small "chads" at the end of each diamond that will have to be hand pulled off for it to look right. Check out the close up picture below to see what I mean. You'd think for the price of this stuff they would have a process to remove these "chads" before shipping to the customer. It will take me forever to remove all these on each panel.

Attachments

• DSCN1401.jpg
    DSCN1401.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1402.jpg
    DSCN1402.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 66
I think i would stick it down and leave it. I bet normal wear and tear after a fre times out and most of that will be gone. I bet stuck down you hardly even notice it. Looks cool. Cant wait to see it on the boat.

By the way, your amp MIGHT fit. The one I used is 10 x 8 and there is room left. The JBL is 13 1/4 x 10 1/4. You may have to turn it the other way, but it looks like it might work. It is gonna be tight though. That is one of the main reasons I went with the Alpine, it is very compact. I originally wanted to use a Kicker amp but it was huge.

54.jpg

I think i would stick it down and leave it. I bet normal wear and tear after a fre times out and most of that will be gone. I bet stuck down you hardly even notice it. Looks cool. Cant wait to see it on the boat.

I hope so...if not I'll be spending several hours with a small pair of scissors clipping the chads off.

Thanks for the heads up on the AMP. I think it will fit also. Putting the boat in the garage tomorrow to start on all the mods. Need to order the wired remote and cable, along with everything to do the second battery. Ordering the 5" hole saw from Harbot Freight tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back