Older girl needing repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utopia_Drew

I've got a 2002 utopia 185 with the merc V6 2 smoker backed up with the M2 jet drive. My issue is. I've noticed that she's been losing speed and power over the last little while so I've had checked out. The prognosis is that I need a new impeller, stator veins and wear plate. So my question is, does anyone know of a good place to get these parts? (American or Canadian) Would aftermarket be ok or should I stick with OEM? Has anyone done a job like this?

Thanks for your advise and suggestions

Drew

Hi & welcome to the forum.
I'm calling in Tony aka Dr Honda for you, he can answer all questions you have about the seadoo mercs.
Your Summer must be ending like yesterday :)
[MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION]

If you can, post some pictures of your jet pump looking in at the impeller from the grate and looking in from the output of the pump. Unless there is a lot of damage, there are a couple of tricks to get it back in shape. There's a JB weld fix for the wear ring that I've heard really helps a lot.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't seen the damage but I assumed there was and asked my local marine dealer to have a look while winterizing it. I will admit though, the soft ball size of rock that got sucked up and stalled out the engine didn't help so like I said, I assume there is damage. It was confirmed. And yes seadoobuddy, our summer is over, we actually didn't have much of one really.. It was cool and rainy most of it and only took her out about 4 times.

Where in Canada are you? Unless in salt water, it is uncommon for 'glass boats to need a new stator. Like was said, pics would go a long way in helping us give good advice. If you are pumping gravel, aftermarket should be considered. If you're running lakes or deeper rivers, OEM should work well for ya.

http://maverickwatersports.com/SportJet.html

That process at Maverick looks like a good option. I remember others talking about Impros doing the stainless sleave, but it was expensive. According to this thread, it was not so bad:

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...ear-Ring-suggestions&highlight=impros+mercury

There are some great photos of one of the nicest JB weld jobs I had seen.

Good luck! Mine is due soon as well. I say I am going to do it each year when the oils are changed, as the pump would be apart, but never do.

I'm in Canada also, just saw a guy in Toronto selling a new impeller for $150 ( good deal ), and for the wear ring, I JB Welded mine last year and it was SWEET! So for less than $200 you could have all that fixed! As for the stator veins, I don't see why you would need a new one, but please post some pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back