Oil Injection Line Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I'll start off with a warning. Apparently all advertised TYGON is NOT TYGON. I just had to replace a compressor on a 951 DI that isn't 6 months from the rebuild. I couldn't figure out what happened and you can't see under the engine easily. After 15 minutes of looking I found the injection oil hose to the compressor in (3) pieces. The ski is a GTX so the pipe is not that difficult to remove in once piece but it wasn't an easy job.

I check this product every way I can before I install the lines. I only buy Tygon for the oil lines. I'll likely buy the oil line directly from Seadoo but I'm seeing that it only comes in 270mm length which I'm thinking is too short roughly 10.5"

My question is, "Is tygon an acceptable replacement for the oil lines and if so, who sells the real stuff? I like OSD for good parts but maybe it is better to use Genuine Seadoo parts for the DI since the lines are very very difficult to replace.

Last edited:
After much tinkering I figured out a test for the oil lines. First I burned each one and noted what happened. Tygon turned black so that is a quick test. Next I soaked the different lines in laquer thinner. That crap line that failed on the ski fell apart in about 15 minutes. So at least I can tell the difference to my satisfaction. I thought I had all my fuel/oil line purged and had nothing but Tygon.

From now on I'm only gonna buy the Tygon F-4040.

THIS KINDA CRAP is why old school guys remove the oil pumps and oil system from carburated skis. The chain is only as strong as it weakest link. This is a DI so you have no choice but there are valid reasons to eilminate oil systems. Had this material been on a cylinder oil line the engine is DONE. This crap got by me and I am extremely thorough. I bite the oil lines and see if I can cut them with my teeth and I can feel how resilient they are in springing back.

I've tested everything in the shop and I only have Tygon. This must have passed the bite test. LOL Be careful out there. Happy Riding !!!

Tygon fuel line Test (1).JPEG

Tygon fuel line Test (3).JPEG

With regard to the part number from the Geniune Seadoo Shop (420660491 - 270mm) their length is much to short for the DI. Does anyone know the material Seadoo used on the jet skis. That shiznit lasted 20 years. I'd like to know what it is and where I can buy it in sufficient lengths.

I am gonna buy some retainer clips to have them on hand but I prefer ty-wraps as I can get them tight to my satisfaction. To each his/her own. Touchdowns Everyone !!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back