O-Ring Fell Into Filter Housing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

troymv505

I was changing the oil on my 2017 Sea Doo GTI 130 and accidentally dropped the lowest o-ring into the oil filter housing. I think it fell into the void in the housing where I can't see it or retrieve it.

My question, how can I access the area below the oil filter housing to retrieve the o-ring?

Thanks, Erick

Hmmm.

You should be able to fish it out if you did not start it.

Thanks for the video that's helpful information. I didn't have any luck finding it with my fiber optic camera or attempting to fish it blindly. I'm starting to wonder if it really fell where I think it did but I don't see it anywhere else and it didn't come out on the oil filter shaft when removed from housing.

Attaching photos. If there was a way to get underneath to visually inspect that would be great. I see there is a hose nearby but I'm not sure. I maybe taking a trip to the dealership to tell them what happened to fix my mistake. I have not turned it on since this happened.

Attachments

• 20230606_130131.jpg
    20230606_130131.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230606_130142.jpg
    20230606_130142.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 12
If the oil is pressurized and enters the assy through the side...goes through the filter then exits in the gap at the bottom, the space down there is part of the pressurized side of delivery so the area down there is extremly small. I can't see how if it fell in there that it is not just sitting there unless it went through the internal line.

I wish I knew what it looked like exactly there because I just can't see how it would be in there.

To be sure, take it to the dealer. What a bummer though.

If the oil is pressurized and enters the assy through the side...goes through the filter then exits in the gap at the bottom, the space down there is part of the pressurized side of delivery so the area down there is extremly small. I can't see how if it fell in there that it is not just sitting there unless it went through the internal line.

I wish I knew what it looked like exactly there because I just can't see how it would be in there.

To be sure, take it to the dealer. What a bummer though.
Thanks for the additional information. This happened because I wasn't paying attention and returned the oil filter to the housing without the nut at the bottom of the assembly. I realized my mistake after putting the filter back in. I then removed the oil filter and the oring the bottom that goes above the nut was gone. It was a loose fit so I assume it came off and fell in that gap. I used a fiber optic camera and can see quite a bit with it but don't see it in there. I tried fishing and a small vacuum tool but can't find anything.

If you put the assy back in without the bolt and tightened it, the bolt does not have the nut to stop it from going in deeper than it should. This most likely would have put enough force on the o-ring to split it. The o-ring is on the outside of the cap in between the top bult flange and the cap. I am guessing it was there in the cap when you pulled it all back.

You would have to pull the cap out of the assy (#22) so I can't see how it would have fallen inside.

1686083987461.png

Dropped it off at the dealer this
If you put the assy back in without the bolt and tightened it, the bolt does not have the nut to stop it from going in deeper than it should. This most likely would have put enough force on the o-ring to split it. The o-ring is on the outside of the cap in between the top bult flange and the cap. I am guessing it was there in the cap when you pulled it all back.

You would have to pull the cap out of the assy (#22) so I can't see how it would have fallen inside.

View attachment 62500
Thanks for this diagram. To clarify the O-ring was on the bottom ledge on part 25 (bolt) in this photo. It doesn't show one in this diagram so perhaps there never was supposed to be one there in the first place. I can say it was there after the dealer services it so when I attempted to change the oil myself I replaced it not knowing it appears to not be part of the assembly.

The top o-ring on the bolt is still there and in one piece. I ended up dropping the sea doo off at the dealer. Hopefully they can help me with what is probably a unique situation.

Thank you

I was changing the oil on my 2017 Sea Doo GTI 130 and accidentally dropped the lowest o-ring into the oil filter housing. I think it fell into the void in the housing where I can't see it or retrieve it.

My question, how can I access the area below the oil filter housing to retrieve the o-ring?

Thanks, Erick
Erick
Exact same thing just happened to me, small red washer fell in the slot in the oil return I believe. Tried everything and can't get it out and can't see it. What did the dealer do???
JIM

Erick
Exact same thing just happened to me, small red washer fell in the slot in the oil return I believe. Tried everything and can't get it out and can't see it. What did the dealer do???
JIM
It's been sitting at the dealer for a week waiting to be looked at. Unfortunately they don't make appointments but require dropping it off then estimated a 1-2 week wait before they can get to it. I'll let you know what I hear back hopefully in the next week.

It's been sitting at the dealer for a week waiting to be looked at. Unfortunately they don't make appointments but require dropping it off then estimated a 1-2 week wait before they can get to it. I'll let you know what I hear back hopefully in the next week.
Side note, this was my mistake no doubt. It does however lead me to think a metal screen or some other easy way to access this area would be beneficial in future designs of the oil filter housing.

Side note, this was my mistake no doubt. It does however lead me to think a metal screen or some other easy way to access this area would be beneficial in future designs of the oil filter housing.
Erick
Still nothing?? What state u live in?? Taking mine in Monday, I see nothing in area, don't have fiber optic camera. This is a bummer.
Jim

I am in Michigan. I got a call it was ready today. I was concerned while changing the oil they'd forget the note about the o-ring and sure enough that is how it played out. They pulled it in the shop when I asked for their thoughts. They still seemed confused as to what happened and ultimately told me it should be fine and might get caught in the oil filter.

I figured, I am in Waterford as I saw your e mail was troy.
I thought the oil flows from outside filter into center and then oil pressurized to engine. If that is so it won't come back. Is my logic off??

Where did u take it for service??
I'm not really sure how it works which is why I thought going to the dealership to fix the mistake was a good idea. I'm questioning my decision as my trailer came back with a broken fender guard I discovered before I took off. They indicated they'd order a replacement. One problem to another I'm afraid.

Fox Power Sports in Grand Rapids.

Spoke to local mechanic came by said fire it up run ten minutes and will probably be in filter. He said could spend my money to pull engine and drain pan but doubt needed. Dud u fire yours up??

Thanks for looking into it. The technician that finished the oil change said he had started it and I started it for a few seconds. I'll take a look at the filter, thanks.

Erick

Ran mine weekend, took filter off nothing caught there. Runs fine so I guess mechanic is right. Keep fingers crossed.
Jim

Back