No spark for 99 GSX RFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakosky1

Backstory:
Bought the machine last spring, was working beautifully. Took it out on the water a couple of times. By the third outing, it was having trouble keeping an idle. By the 5th, it would unexpectedly roll back from full power to stalling mid run.

I thought that it was a combination of fuel contamination and a dying fuel pump. Fuel pump turned out to be working fine, good pressure. Replaced the fuel filters and cleaned the tank and lines, but no luck, the problem remained.
Then I moved my focus to spark. When the problem first appeared, I had checked that I was getting spark and I was. But checking again after the additional runs, I was getting little or no spark.

First thought was that the rectifier was going, so I pulled out the rectifier, mpem (engine computer) and crank position sensor and took them to a dealer. They installed them onto a 2000 gsx rfi and said that with my components installed, the '00 ran even better then with it's own parts. This was in September, and as I live in upstate NY and didn't have a warm place to work on it, had to store the gsx for the winter.

So:
-No spark
-rectifier, mpem, and cps are all working
-new spark plugs
-decent compression
-fuel system is good as new, temporary inline gauge shows it still holding pressure after entire winter.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any suggestions for things to look at?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back