New ski missing parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

khint93

Hey guys, just bought a 1997 SPX for what i feel like is a steal. Its missing a few parts, the rave valves are completely missing, the ignition coil is gone for whatever reason, and the water pressure regulator is missing off of the top of the water box. Ive managed to find a good deal on the rave valves and a coil but the guy doesnt have a pressure reg i could use. My question is if i can just delete it and plug my water box? Ive herd that it doesnt hurt much just to dry out the box and run the water like that but i really have no clue on how to do this, anybody done this before??

Welcome fellow GA member!

When people talk about drying out the waterbox they are usually talking about fixed jetting it, that is to say adding a particular sized jet to limit flow (less than stock) but not completely block it off. Blocked off you will likely melt your exhaust outlet and make a whole bunch more noise.

I would talk with [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] about parts. He is a good guy to buy from, has all the stuff you need in terms of good used parts.

Ok guys thanks a lot, im not new to wrenching on motors just used to the type with four wheels under them, so this is all new to me, Krispy and CReynoldsMIZ your skis are both beautiful, mine will look good like them soon i hope :)

Krispy could you tell me about hard jetting? what all does it do? is it better than running a regulator?

also i ddnt see that your a fellow Georgian what park do you put in at?

It requires a lot of tuning and maintainence, just buy a good used one from Minnetonka and have your headaches disappear. 1 minute installation

No new news here, I'm with the other guys on this. Just one suggestion, when you buy the used regulator from Nick [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] have him install a new bellows, he has the part.

Lou

the main difference in the jetting is that you kind of need to pull the jet & clean it on a regular basis to make sure it doesnt' clog, that won't remove the chance that it will clog but at least it won't clog over buildup. Yes, there is a bit of tuning involved, too much water and you lose rpm, not enough water and you melt stuff.

I was hard jetted for about maybe 18 months with no ill effects at all, and the net cost was about $3 :)

I had ECWI as well, so I just made a habit every 3 weeks or so to pull the jetted lines, poke a wire through the jet and wiggle it around there a lil' bit and stick the line back on.

I honestly can't recall the jetting size I used, its been maybe 3 years since it was first installed (a friend did it for me), 115 comes to mind but don't quote me on that, it could be way off, It was also jetted "large" for my own protection, I wasn't worried about the last 50 or so rpm's, so a bigger jet was the way to go since my mechanic buddy didn't trust that i'd check the jets often enough, and had concern's that I wouldn't notice if it was clogged in time to avoid melting stuff.

water regulators generally come pretty cheap, ranging from about $20 to $35 shipped, I know what they are "asking" for them but $20-35 is what they are selling for, and yes, its a 1 minute install. I had 3 or 4 of them laying around at one point and sold them all in the $20-25 range each.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil injection is the way to go. Just maintain it, replace the oil filter and small injection lines and it is great. Saves you a ton of oil and from fouling plugs by running too rich

I've herd they're unreliable and if they go bad your out of a motor, idk id almost rather run 50:1, but im just going off of hear say, actual experience is better imo

I looked at this Spx on Craigslist and thought about purchasing it. It looked to be in really good shape and you got a nice ski there. I was concerned about the condition of the engine. This forum is great and the knowledge here is very extensive. They will have you on the water in no time!

Long live the 2 stroke Seadoo!

I'm pretty sure it was the same one. It was forsale on craigslist a while back with the exact same missing parts

Lol its in good shape, the top deck is a little beat up, but its workable, the motor had good compression and looked all there, the kid he bought it from took it all apart and never put it back together, he was askin 800 but i worked him down to 500. I feel like it was a good deal :) Adam where do you put in at?

I agree with CReynolds, the oil injection is super reliable if well kept. I run pre mix just for peace of mind on my new engine. You will go through wayyyy more oil and foul plugs slightly quicker. I guess it's really just a personal preference

Ill run premix until I can have somebody really look at my oil injection pump, it looks really rough. I cant afford a new motor at the moment it would be grounds for me to have to sell it :/ rather be safe than sorry

We have a lake house on Sinclair but I almost always ride on Clarks Hill(lake Thurmond now)

Were you able to get a compression reading on the motor? If not I'd start there before throwing all the parts($) on there

Perfect! You have a healthy motor! Get that thing on the water! As everyone said [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] will have all the parts you need at a good price and he is loyal and stands behind his parts

Have you guys ever dealt with westsidepowersports.com?? Nick is really cool im talking to him off and on, seems to really know what hes talking about, lots of good parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back