New Guy With a Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyRider19

I just bought my 1996 Spi last month and the first weekend I had it out it blew the Solenoid. No biggie 40 Dollars later I had one. Well last week same thing happened. It wouldnt turn over in the water and had to be towed back... again. got it out and just heard a click but nothing else.
Figured Solenoid because the one i bought was used (Dumb I know) So went into Fuse Box and put screw driver on both ends of Solenoid and it wouldnt start up like last time... So I dont know where to go from here. Starter? im replacing the battery today and may do another compression check but Im praying for the best. Need it up by satuday :(
Any advise would be so helpful :)

if you can jump the solenoid and it wont turn over assuming your battery is good then you have a bad starter...sorry ...have you had you battery load tested yet...do that first

I mean I checked the battery and its got good voltage and even charged it for a bit. That what was wrong with my XP 2 weeks ago. When I try the Solenoid Clicks so I assume its still good... Where should I get a starter at? They hard to install?

Time to remove the starter and take off the back plate, inspect, clean, replace brushes. Its probly drawing too many amps.

Bills86e

Okay So try the brushes before buying the starter? And sparks fly when i do the Solenoid test like last time but it just doesnt start. Still good compression. Idk if any of this is helpful just trying to piece things together :)

Okay Awesome thanks so much. Any instructions or videos online? Haha wher eI live we dont have many Jet Ski Repairmen... and what do you think it will cost to fix? I Hear Parts are pretty cheap on Sea Doo's and they last forever. I called the guy I bought it from and he said he bought a new starter 18 months ago for it.

Okay Sweet that helps! Of course its the one part I didnt buy haha now I have a extra Battery and Solenoid! :) Yall are the best!

starter removal

Okay Sweet that helps! Of course its the one part I didnt buy haha now I have a extra Battery and Solenoid! :) Yall are the best!
remove the drive grey cover. each side on rear engine block has finger wing nuts you loosen two turns. use an extention and 13mm ratchet under the exhaust to remove the starter front two bolts. starter rear has a bolt on the rear starter bracket into engine block. pull starter rearward then use a box end 10mm wrench to remove the positive cable.
installation is reverse this instruction.
remove the two 10mm end rear end bolts & plate to inspect, ect.

Bills86e

Hey I just wanted to let yall know that after 5 Hours of Tinkering around last night (Im new so I took it slow) I fixed it. The starter was a year old SVT High torque and I think thats a pretty good starter so i hoped the brushes were okay. I took the starter out and put it to cables to see if it would spin. It sat there for a bit and I found little items stuck in it that was proventing it from turning. Cleaned it out and the dang thing ran like new. Going to test drive it today so wish me luck! Yall were awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back