new cylinder or new motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texasbbq

O.k. I got screwed! I bought 2 1997 XP's that were have supposed to have been completely rebuilt. Well one won't start in the water but it will on the trailer. I took it to a shop and did a compression test. One cylinder was at 160 and the other was at 100. He said I need a new motor for 2500 bucks he could put one in for me. I asked if I could just replace that piston and he said no. So my question is: is he trying to screw me or can I just do a top end? I found a new motor online for 1200 bucks has anyone here ever pulled there motor and put a new one in if so any special tools required? It looks fairly simple but I've never done it. Also is it worth it to put that kind of money in a 1997 seadoo XP or should I just cut my loss right now? Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
2500 is insane for a new motor. you could just do a top end but the best way to do it would be to replace the motor for a rebuilt one with a 2 year warranty. you need to find out what caused the motor to lose compression. do u still have gray fuel lines on it? its not to hard to replace a motor and can been done with a basic set of metric tools.

No it has black fuel lines so from what I can tell they are new. He's warranty was only 1 year. Where would I find a new (rebuilt) motor with a 2 year warranty? And how much? I haven't opened it up yet so I don't know if the rings are bad or not.

there are many companies that offer motors. sbt, ses, pwc engine, just to name a few, most will run in the $800-1000 range. they will include all the new gaskets needed to install the new engine.

2500 does sound a little high, but ya gotta consider that he needs to mark up his cost for the engine, then his time for the remove/replace, misc stuff found along the way that cannot be ignored.

If you get to the decision point of replacing the engine, you will need the engine alignment tool (coastiejoe has one to rent).

Lots of people on this forum have already done this and will or already have helped out. Sit back, enjoy the bbq and a few cold ones and peruse this site a little.

Also, we got a lot of visual learners out here so pictures are always appreciated. Always got someone out here to help out, but it is still the riding season so there may be a little delay in response.

Good luck,

Rod

From a business point of view, I can see some justification in them wanting to replace the whole engine.
Lets suppose the engine has some debris in the bottom half of the engine, or the crank is on its last legs. Maybe even both? If he charges you T&M for a top end & then the bottom half lets go the next weekend, or maybe debris damages the top end, you might be back in his shop very unhappy & possibly wanting him to cover the work done. So, in some ways he's protecting himself. maybe not really trying to screw you. Thats my thoughts.

Most of these skis can't have major work done by dealerships without breaking the bank. Most shops charge $75-$100 per hour.

O.k. thanks for the input. Since these are my first ski I have ever even rode. I think I'm going to wait before putting anymore money in this thing. Since I got one that runs I'm just going to play around with it for the rest of the season to find out how much I like them. If I really enjoy them then I'll replace the motor in the off season so it will be ready for next year. If I don't then I'll just sell them and take a loss. I not going to be like the guy that sold them to me. I'll tell whoever buys them that one works great and one needs a new motor. I'm just tired of people lieing just for a buck! I guess that poor soul can't make any money unless he lies, steals, and cheats to do it. Oh well, I learned a hard lesson.

And that's why you should always do a water test or at least a compression test before you buy a used seadoo.

I 100% agree! I learned the hard way. Im going to trade both for 1 ski that has a new motor in it. Its a 3 seater not a two and still has warranty on it. It is a 2000 GTX millennium.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a 17 year old engine... rebuild the whole thing and get a warranty.

I send my stuff to SES. a 787 should be around what $800? do the work yourself, the XP has a big opening around the engine, and lots of info on this forum.

You'll get a 1-2 year no matter what warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back