Need Help! 05 Seadoo RXP - top speed 5 mph!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitehawkix999

Hi everyone, I am hoping to get some good advice. I am not a mechanic nor do I know anything about repairs just to say first off. I have a 05 Seadoo RXP with about 75 hours on it. We only used it a couple times a year and kept it in good shape otherwise. It was last ran in April 2011 and ran perfectly all day. In May, about a month later we tried to take it out again, however now it would not go over 5mph even at full throttle. The more gas you give it, it just got louder and louder and shook pretty badly. We took it back out of the water and parked it until now when we took it to a mechanic to get it fixed. So far we have been told the steering assembly needs to be replaced - this may be true since the handles will not turn now. Otherwise we have been told the supercharger needs to be rebuilt. These two things with labor were quoted at 900 - 1000 total. Now we are being told this may not even fix the problem and that the engine is knocking severely - which will require a rebuild or replacement to the tune of 3 - 4k! Personally I think this is crazy since its still in like new condition over all and we hardly ever even use it - wondering how all these problems can appear while it is parked on a trailer??? I am starting to get the feeling this mechanic is taking us for a ride big time, however if anyone can offer any helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated. Due to the birth of our second child, we only intend to sell it anyway and were trying to have it in top condition prior to putting it up for sale.

...I have a 05 Seadoo RXP with about 75 hours on it. We only used it a couple times a year and kept it in good shape otherwise. It was last ran in April 2011 and ran perfectly all day. In May, about a month later we tried to take it out again, however now it would not go over 5mph even at full throttle. The more gas you give it, it just got louder and louder and shook pretty badly...So far we have been told the steering assembly needs to be replaced - this may be true since the handles will not turn now. Otherwise we have been told the supercharger needs to be rebuilt. These two things with labor were quoted at 900 - 1000 total. Now we are being told this may not even fix the problem and that the engine is knocking severely - which will require a rebuild or replacement to the tune of 3 - 4k! Personally I think this is crazy since its still in like new condition over all and we hardly ever even use it - wondering how all these problems can appear while it is parked on a trailer??? I am starting to get the feeling this mechanic is taking us for a ride big time, however if anyone can offer any helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated. Due to the birth of our second child, we only intend to sell it anyway and were trying to have it in top condition prior to putting it up for sale.

Wow...talk about a rough first day.

A coupla questions to start this off...

Have you ever had the clutch washers replaced or had the supercharger rebuilt...ever?

Have you ever changed the spark plugs and treated the gas in the tank and fuel rails for extended storage?

Was the steering working before you took it to the stealership?

Lastly...no offense intended here...

Do you have basic automotive tools and any mechanical ability...at all?

Its real important these days to youse a fuel stabilizer
like sta-bil get that out of the shop!!!
drain the fuel and put 2 gallons in it with 2 bottles of k-100 injector cleaner
tie it to the dock and let it idel through with new plugs, once in a while play with
the throttle if its a gas isue this will clean it out, the stearing should not freeze up
even in salt water,let us no how you make out.

I doubt you have all that wrong with it. That shop is either trying to make money off you or they don't know what they are doing. Your inititial problem was that you sucked up a stick or some debris in the pump, that's it. Look carefully in your pump and impeller and I'll bet something is stuck in there. Any shop that didn't tell you this upfront is crooked from your description it's obvious and I've cleared hundreds of pumps from debris and usually don't charge anything.

As far as the steering sticking, they tend to do that after sitting all winter. Make sure nothing is lodged in the nozzle and try to gently work the handlebars back and forth and it will most likely free up. Worst case, you need a $100 steering cable, salt water tends to corrode them on the inside.

As far as a sc rebuild, I'd let the new owner worry about that, just let them know that it should be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back