"N.E. Ohio Summer get Together"

glsmohio

2016 summer ride in Ohio/camping

Hey guys I have been seeing more and more people around the forum from Ohio. I do a lot of camping in the summer with the skis and bring the boat. I would like to get a ride/camping trip together. I'm about 2hrs north west of Columbus. I boat on Grand lake St marys and Indian Lake. I know [MENTION=77343]Ankeneyou[/MENTION] is from Columbus. Any one can come to this. You don't have to be from Ohio. I'm sure my wife will come along and maybe even my kid, he loves to ride. So lets see who would like to be apart of this and what ideas you have on When/where/camping and all the good stuff.

Thanks
Scott

I am definitely interested. Just depends on when and where. I can say for sure if my wife and son (1-year old) come along, we won't be camping, we'd have to get a hotel. If I come by myself, I would be fine with camping. I ride mostly in MI inland lakes (Irish Hills area) as it's a halfway point between me and one of my good friends. I haven't been on any lakes in Ohio, would love to meet up with some fellow enthusiasts and ride some skis for a weekend.

I also have a boat, but obviously could only brings skis or the boat, unless I talk someone else into coming along with me that has a tow vehicle. I have a wakeboard and a bunch of tubes for my boat that I could bring along if I bring the boat, or if someone else brings a boat.

I really like Fair Port Harbor's park and launch site on Lake Erie. Cost's $8 a ski to launch. Very clean and taken care of. Has a snack bar and pop machines. The Coast Guard Is right around the corner. Pickle Bills Restaurant is less then 2 miles away. The break water area, close to the shore is huge. New riders and less skilled have a safe area to ride. Go out side and you have great swells to ride up and get air. Nuclear power plant 3 miles away. Really freaky to ride around it's hot water discharge area off shore.

I have a question regarding the governing body for Lake Erie. Since NY, PA and OH all have access to the lake, what boaters law do we follow for age? In PA you can be 12 to operate a PIC with a license, but Ohio it is 16. I am not sure what age is NY, but I am thinking 16.

My daughter is 12 with her boaters safety card, and wants to ride. My 10 yr old son can't wait to turn 12 since he passed his test last year.

I have a question regarding the governing body for Lake Erie. Since NY, PA and OH all have access to the lake, what boaters law do we follow for age? In PA you can be 12 to operate a PIC with a license, but Ohio it is 16. I am not sure what age is NY, but I am thinking 16.

My daughter is 12 with her boaters safety card, and wants to ride. My 10 yr old son can't wait to turn 12 since he passed his test last year.

You will follow your states laws, with the addition of "Open Water" Coast Guard laws. As I recall... a "Visual Distress Signal" is all that's needed. (not normally required in the rest of the state) Generally... that will be flairs, but I think it can also be a flag.

This is because that lake borders multiple states. NOW... if you went off the coast of (lets say NY) then you have to follow that states laws, regardless of your registration state.

So... do you have a point on a map, and a date for this gathering??? Also... you are local... so, is there a boater friendly hotel available? I may be able to join up, depending on my work schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
So... do you have a point on a map, and a date for this gathering??? Also... you are local... is there a boater friendly hotel available? I may be able to join up, depending on my work schedule.

nothing set it stone, what would work best for you as far as dates go? I would love to meet the dr.

nothing set it stone, what would work best for you as far as dates go? I would love to meet the dr.

The problem is... since I closed my shop... I now travel for work. AND... those trips come up, and change all the time, so it's hard to commit to anything. BUT... I can generally know a week or so before.

So... figure out who wants to do it... set a date... and then when it gets close... I'll let you know.

We can merge the two threads.. does that work for everyone? [MENTION=71213]glsmohio[/MENTION] and @Mickirig1

I would vote for mid July since the lake will be warmer, but since it did not freeze, it does not have as far to warm.

Making the trip over to Kelley's island is a blast. When the date is picked we will see but we already have a full summer and it is not even spring yet!

I'm good with just about anything but the last week in July as I'll already be in Cumberland. May need to hold onto my GTI for this instead of selling...

I've been wanting to do a trip up to Erie for the last few summers since I've never taken the skis there only the boat for some fishing. I do have a friend who is a pro angler up there if anyone is interested in a charter too.

Another decent option is Salt Fork lake. There is a nice camp ground with walking distance to the docks. It's about 1 hr 45 min east of Cbus.

How fast are you going ?

I made that trip probably 75 times a few summers ago on my 2-stroke Polaris skis. We would travel 26-30 MPH on average.

My new Seadoos are larger, faster, and smoother. Could easily make it in less time now.

Back