My new to me project. 1997 spx 787

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough

Out of curiosity are these cranks just pressed together... Guessing the only way to take a part is heat and a press ???? this is my first go around on this type motor. I never imagined such a thing lol

What do you all feel is the best way to clear the bearings. You really cant get to them as well as what I would like... Im guessing just a bunch of brake cleaner

i believe its just parts washing solution and brake cleaner (used because of its high evaporation characteristics)

but don't quote me on that, might be a good idea to start a thread on that particular subject, and the wrenchers will chime in.

its very very important that the cases, cyl's , everything is spotless clean, one thing i've learned is that cleaning parts takes more time than the actual assembly of the parts, i've done this a few times.

bead blasting the cases, inside and out, bare metal, then using tools (the things that look like dental tools) to get out all gasket debris, the inside of the screw holes, get all the little pieces of lock tite out, gunk, etc... get some dollar store toothbrushes too :) anything that's left behind can work its way back inside the engine...

What your trying to avoid is a thread 3 weeks from now that reads

"Engine failure on first test ride after rebuild"

oh, and PS, now you know why engine rebuilds cost so dam much, the parts are only part of it, but the rest of it "getting the job done right" is very time consuming

and this is why simple maintenance, flushing, keeping the lines clear, zerk fittings, etc, is so important, because one failure leads to another then kaboom, and your back to square 1 :)

welcome to my world ! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know where I can get a complete bumper set for a 1997 spx. Mine is pretty crappy and the prices on ebay seem to be a little crazy. At those prices I could just wait around for an entire hull to come up.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back