Mercury 240EFI woes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnehrboss

Hey guys,

Been enjoying my challenger (bought used about 8 years ago).

Recently the boat took on water, and the engine was about 1/2 submerged :facepalm::facepalm:

Thought I had a chance:
Drained water from cylinders.. new plugs, new water separator.
Engine was seized. Broke free with breaker bar. Then the engine would turn over. Low voltage. New Battery.
Now engine turns over well. Doesn't fire. Have spark, but plugs dry. Checked fuel pumps. Small pump nothing coming out (the 12 volt electric primer pump). High pressure pump making noise when key turned on.
Replaced small electric... works with 12 volt, but not with key....

Then I realize, I'm not getting the alarm tone when I turn on the key... now the high pressure pump doesn't make noise with key.

I checked fuses (at least the ones I know about) and they look good.

I'm scared that I have a computer problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Richard

Unfortunately... Yes... the computer could be dead. You can take the boat to a Merc dealer, and see if they can "Read" the ECU with their scan tool. If it is dead... then there are a few options. 1) Find a used one on eBay. I've seen them go for $100... to $1000. 2) see if yours can be saved. (There is a shop that can service/rebuild the Merc ECU's)

BUT...

How long was it sitting under water? The only reason I ask, is because you said it needed to be "Broke free with breaker bar". If it had internal rust, to hold it... then it's done. Even if it starts... it will quickly eat itself. Normally... if it sinks, and it retrieved... and dried out... there isn't rust. If you got it wet, and let it sit all winter before trying to dry it out... you need a new engine.

Wow.. Thanks for your quick reply.

Is there a way for me to test the computer?

I've taken the computer off. Is a dealer able to test it if I take it in apart from the boat?

Am I right in remembering there should be a tone when turning the key on?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back