Status
Not open for further replies.

seb brunet

I gona start winterizing my boat
What to do its my first time
I know to change the oil in the pump and stator
Im gona fill my gas tank and put stab il in it
I jUst change the spark plug 1 month ago
The dealer told me when they do winterize it its 170$ that includ. Oil change. Gas stab they fog the engine and they unscrew the exhaust to check for water
I know its gona be cheaper if i do it myself so if im missing something please share it with me. Thanks

You don't need to fill the tank. Just put in a heavy dose of stabilizer... and make sure it's run into the engine. Some guys will remove the spin-on filter, and put a shot of stabilizer in there... just to make sure it's in the injectors, and vapor tank. Also... some like to drain the vapor tank... but I don't. It leaves the high pressure pump dry, and could kill the seals.

Yes... service the pump. (oil change)

Then, unscrew the sparkplugs, and give the engine a good shot of fogging oil. then... put them back in, and crank it for just a second or two. (Leave the wires off, or ground the kill. You don't want it to start)

I personally will try to get fogging oil into the engine, while it's running... before I put it into the sparkplug holes.

Then... make sure the bilge is dry... and put storage oil on any exposed, unprotected metal. (bolt heads, brackets, etc)

On the Merc... that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to fill the tank. Just put in a heavy dose of stabilizer... and make sure it's run into the engine. Some guys will remove the spin-on filter, and put a shot of stabilizer in there... just to make sure it's in the injectors, and vapor tank. Also... some like to drain the vapor tank... but I don't. It leaves the high pressure pump dry, and could kill the seals.

Yes... service the pump. (oil change)

Then, unscrew the sparkplugs, and give the engine a good shot of fogging oil. then... put them back in, and crank it for just a second or two. (Leave the wires off, or ground the kill. You don't want it to start)

I personally will try to get fogging oil into the engine, while it's running... before I put it into the sparkplug holes.

Then... make sure the bilge is dry... and put storage oil on any exposed, unprotected metal. (bolt heads, brackets, etc)

On the Merc... that's about it.

I was told something about flushing it with Anti-freeze too - since the cooling system can expand if it freezes (I live in a potentially really cold winter zone) and crack the block.

Dr Honda Is definitely right. If your REALLY nervous, I did and it was not required, but grabbed a 4L pail, filled it with RV Antifreeze, and ran it through a sump pump ( 2500 PSI ), and attached it to the flush outlet and let it drain. Not required but if your nervous....

In the spring, fuel filter and inline oil filter and you should be good to go!

Oh, and Don't forget moth balls all around the boat depending on where you are storing it!

Hi -
I am new to forums in general...but I search and search how to winterize and I keep getting the same thing...someone says to change oil and a bunch of other stuff...they go into great detail about all the other stuff, but no detail about acutally how to change the oil ;-(

My problem is, I can do and know about all the other stuff, but cannot find any instruction on how to actually change the oil (and I believe it is changed in 2 places)?

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks - but forgive me again, that document looks like it is for a lot more than an oil change...I saw the section that says:

Refer to Mercury’s Factory Service Manual, pages 5-8 to 5-12.

I suppose that is for the actual oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back