Just bought a mint 2000 XP. Hving overheating problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBagTom

UPDATE 6/15/14: scroll down again please.

UPDATE 6/10/14: scroll down please.

I'm new to PWC's. I've loved the 97-04 XP's ever since I was a kid. I found a really clean one and the price was right so I snagged it. It is very close to showroom clean for being 14 years old. It starts right up no problem as well.

I finally just got out and put it in the water today. It started right up no problem as usual. As I took off I kept looking over to see the "piss" coming out. It never came out. I was maybe 45 seconds into my ride when the overheating scream went off. I shut it down and sat for a little bit. I was maybe 200 yards away from my dock so I started it back up and very slowly made it back. I opened the top and rear compartments and a bunch of smoke came out.

Every time I went to plug the key in after it would give me the overheating scream. After about an hour the key gave me the it's clear to start again double beep. I started it back up to move it 50 feet to my trailer. It didn't give me the overheating scream, but the exhaust was very hot from moving it 50 feet.

What could be going on here? I checked the grate and it is 100% clear from debris. I see back all the way to the impeller. Everything works perfectly fine other than the over heating and no piss coming out.

I would assume the cooling system may have a clog in it somewhere? Is this common? I'm really bummed out. It's so clean and was taken very well care of. I ended up just watching all the other PWC's that we're out today.

It's really hard finding information on Sea-Doo's online. Hopefully this place can help me out.

Here's a pic for fun.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

If this is the first time it's been ridden since the ski has been winterized check and make sure both the flush hose and the cooling inlet hose from the pump are hooked up to the proper connection. The hose from the pump connects to the inlet on the engine with the small arrow pointing to the front of the ski. The flush hose connects to the connection with the arrow pointing toward the rear of the ski.

Also try this, connect a water hose to the flush port on the engine, the one with the arrow pointing toward the rear of the ski. This is important, start the ski, turn on the water, water should come out both the exhaust and the tell-tale. Turn off the water and stop the engine. Only run the motor for 2-3 minutes, post back and let us know the results.

Lou

Do you have any pictures or diagrams of what you are talking about by any chance? I know my way around a motorcycle/car engine, but PWC's are a whole other world to me.

Could anything else be seriously wrong here? I'm hoping it's a weird little fluke or easy fix.

Unfortunately I don't. Your best bet is to download a owner's manual and a service manual. You can get one from this site if you join as a premium member, or just google for one. I do have this diagram of a cooling system for a 787 yours will be similar.

Lou

Attachments

• CCF05212012_00000.jpg
    CCF05212012_00000.jpg
    725.1 KB · Views: 35
Great. Thanks for the help.

I actually have the original owners manual and service manual. I'll have to take a look through them.

wow that is clean. don't feel too bummed out with the help of this fourm you will be up and running soon.

run the ski on a hose, it will run the cooling system backwards.

1. turn on engine
2. start hose for no more than 1-2 min
3. turn off the hose
4. shut off engine.

IN THAT ORDER.

the hose connection runs the cooling loop backwards to dislodge crap.

the cooling system starts in the jet pump. 5 small holes connect to the hose at the top of the pump and go to the head on the 951.

I'd look at those holes. you will have to remove the jet pump.

Sabr: I made a small edit to your post, I hope you don't mind...Lou

I bought a hose quick connect to hook it up. Where exactly does it connect to? The top right above the jet?

I've seen videos of '99 and earlier XP's with the hose mounted to the upper left of the jet. It doesn't look like mine would go there with the 951 engine.

It's so frustrating not being able to find something as simple as that.

Oh, also, I poked through the original service manual. It is such garbage. It doesn't really tell me anything. Does Clymer make service manuals for PWC's?

In the service manual it shows pictures of the 947 engine but not the 951. Are they basically the same?

I just hooked it up to flush it.

image.jpg

When it was flushing water came out of this hole below the water inlet.

image.jpg

Water also came out of the lower of two holes on the side but not out the top hole.

image.jpg

It did not come out this hole on the left side of the jet.

image.jpg

Is it supposed to come out of that higher up side hole?

Is it supposed to come out of the hole on the left side of the Jet? The exhaust was ice cold after running but the block was slightly warm to the touch. Should everything be alright now?

Thanks.

Hose connects to above the jet. Top right. The 947 and 951 are the same engine.

Your fine.

Make sure you remove that adapter before you drop it in the water.

Give it a test run.

So, I flushed it out. Water came out a hole on the lower right side next to the jet and out the side hull hole. Water didn't come out of the jet though.

It ran fine while flushing and the exhaust stayed very cool although the engine got pretty hot.

I threw it in the lake today to try it out. Water did not come out of the side hole and it overheated again on me. The first time I tried it I got up to speed, but this time whether I went wide open or not it went very slow like it was struggling to move.

Any other suggestions as to why it flows water when it's connected to the hose, but not while running?

2002 951 XP too running hot

I have problems too with my engine overheating, but in my case all the engine and pipe seems too hot to the touch, no alarm but seems to hot for me, I have water coming out of the pee holes and from the exhaust, all seems to be correct. I had the ski recently rebuilt, had both sleeves changed and piston size went to .50, I was told that because of this it was going to run hotter. The ski runs great, all seem to be working fine. I had the engine went off twice maybe for overheating, but not sure, I am still breaking in the engine. Starts right away, all works fine, not sure if I am being too paranoid, I just don't want to ruin the engine again (was expensive to fix) As far as I remember in the past I was able to touch the pipe, now it is too hot to be touched. Finally nothing is melt in the hull, all seems to be normal. I have a video attached. Please advise!!

[video=youtube;EmEzNzx_Kbw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmEzNzx_Kbw&list=UUe6tDgNbF-wlaMIXTEB2v7g[/video]

If everything circulates on the hose but not in the water, your going to have to check the inlets in the pump. They could be clogged with something. That would be common if someone beached it or ran it in extremely shallow water. Pull the pump and check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back