Is the charging system working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 GTX with 4-TEC engine, 155 hp.

After about 2-1/2 hours on the water the red (!) light starts to flash.
The P-code is P0562 - low voltage.
I have had the battery (four months old) checked at two locations and it checks out o.k. under load.
All fuses are good when I check them with an Ohm meter across the slots while still mounted.
The base voltage of the battery was 12.25 VDc. Voltage at idle was 11.90 VDc.
Amps at positive post while idling was 1.63 A, and at 6K rpm it was 2.13 A.
The regulator / rectifier unit was cold after running engine.
I replaced the regulator / rectifier unit with a new one. New unit was warm after running engine.
Base voltage of battery, idling, and after cranking to 6K rpm were similar, had a drop in voltage, from 12.48 VDc to 11.89 VDc.

I am assuming that the voltage at the battery should increase as soon as the engine is started and not have to wait for the battery to be in use for any period of time. The rectifier is warm, does this mean the magneto is working or do I need to perform additional test on the magneto?

Last edited by a moderator:
check connections running to the fuses...specifically the two hot leads piggybacked from the main hot from the battery. Some have a splice there.....I just had to run direct from the battery to those fuses...my second's ski charging prob solved.

My next question was going to be are there any in-line fuses that I'm not seeing? After checking out the shop manual linked above (thanks, mkov608) I pulled the connectors next to the fuse box and sure enough, what look like plug-in connectors are actually fuse holders. The top one had a 30A fuse that was blown. 13.89 volts at idle now. I wish they would make these fuses a little more obvious and easier to find when a problem arises.

I reinstalled the old rectifier to verify it was bad and it was.

Attached is a photo of the fuses pulled out of their holders.
Fuse.jpg

For a 4 Tec charging system? No. Other skis have different setups. Some have two fuses w/ a different amp rating.

Glad you got it fixed! You're the 2d guy this week that's had this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back