Impeller or Pump Bearing Noise?

Hi guys, first post on here and also first time ski owner.

Just a little back story, but I recently purchased a 2007 SeaDoo GTI SE 155 with a 123 hours. Did the oil change/plugs, got it on the lake and found out it had major cavitation issues. So I removed the pump, and the impeller/wear ring were basically destroyed and all of the stator veins had some sort of damage. Replaced it with a Solas 10/18 impeller kit and new wear ring, new pump seal, and replaced the grease on the cone. I also used a dremel tool to sharpen the stator veins, but the gap between the back side of the impeller and the veins is now far more than factory.

I put it back together and got it out on the lake, and it is 10 times more responsive, but still a fairly noticeable amount of cavitation until it starts to plane. (Again first time ski owner so I'm not sure just how much cavitation is normal at low speeds, but it will still bounce off the rev limiter for a bit while trying to get up out of the water if you gun it). I'm thinking a bit of the cavitation is from the condition of the veins, or possibly the carbon seal??

I put about 3 hours on the ski with no issues besides the cavitation, and out of no where on the lake it started making this sound

The sound is very similar to the rev limiter, but it's audible from 4.5k to the actual 7,650rpm rev limit. No hesitation in the motor at all though, so that leads me to believe it's the pump. Sounds a lot like a bad wheel bearing in a car so I was thinking maybe the pump bearing went bad or perhaps the impeller somehow become unbalanced? Anyone have any thoughts?

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 08.14.32.png
The stators will be a loss performance, and the bearing will be a noise, or vibration. Definitely change the bearing if you think it might be bad. Do the pump housing if you can't live with the loss of performance and cavitation.

Last edited:
Back