Impeller catches on wear ring where retaining screws come through

PredatorVI

A few days before a big trip a couple weeks ago, we had the Sea-Doos out on the local lake and something didn't sound right on our 2018 RXT-X 300. It was rattling and really making lots of noise.

When we got it home, I pulled the pump off thinking there was a rock stuck in between the impeller blades, but discovered the bearing had disintegrated and had lots of water intrusion.

I tried to get parts and rebuild it myself, but some needed to be ordered and I didn't have a hydraulic press to get the bearings out/in so I just left it with the dealer to rebuild. Ultimately, the only thing not replaced was the actual impeller, but when I picked it up, I noticed that as I spun the impeller, it catches ever so slightly on the wear ring right where the two retaining screws are. I'm guessing it's pushed the wear ring into the path of the impeller just enough to rub slightly. I'm wondering if I should back the screws out a bit, drill/ream out the hole in the wear ring, shave off a bit of the ring in that spot OR just run it as is. Any suggestions? Anyone else had that happen?

Thanks!

You're supposed to pre-drill the wear ring with a 5/32" drill where the screws go though the pump housing. If you don't, the screws will push the wear ring into the path of the impeller. Screws should be torqued to 22 in lbs, but not many have the tool to do that, so they overtighten they screws and the bore into the pump housing.

Amazon.com

Back