I have a question on a 96 GSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't necessarily agree, David lives in CA, SBT is in FL, he's gonna pay a lot in freight, and he has to pay freight both ways. A running ski for $600 is a good deal, install the engine, use the best parts from both skis and sell the remaining parts. The trailer alone is worth $200-350. Really the only risk is time.

One word of caution, make certain the donor ski is not stolen.

Lou

Thanks Lou! He says he bought it like I bought mine, put a top end in only to find out it had a lien on it from a business that went under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really didn't think anyone would bother to steal a 18 year old ski.

Well then I think I would go for it. The 96GSX can be valuable as a parts ski for the body parts, I know I have one. It's the only year that SeaDoo used that color so body parts such as the hood, gauge cover, handlebar cover, rub rail, corners, and sponsons are all unique to the 96GSX. Actually I might be interested in a starboard side sponson myself, the one on my ski is the wrong color.

I don't know of any specific threads on changing a motor, but it's really not that difficult. Remove the pump, remove the drive shaft, disconnect the electrical, disconnect the hoses, remove the bolts to the motor mounts. I'm not sure if you need to remove the tuned pipe, I'm thinking not. Two guys can wrestle the engine out but I would use a come-a-long or engine hoist. I've got a couple of old spark plugs with washers welded to them to use for lifting, but you could just use a nylon strap.

The job should be even easier because you have a donor ski to use as a model. Good luck and if you need help just yell, actually there's guys on here with better mechanical abilities than me [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] is one of them. He's got several threads where he has restored skis that may be useful.

Lou

Thanks Lou, for all your help the sponson is yours, just pay shipping. I have an electric hoist in my garage for my motorcycle projects so I'm good up go. I'll keep you posted!! And thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer, but I'll gladly pay the going rate for the sponson.

One other thing, you are going to need an engine alignment tool. See if you can find one to borrow or rent, the tool costs $150.00 new, if you decide to buy one get it from Watercraft Super Store, same company and same tool as SBT but they offer free shipping. Also [MENTION=43374]Coastiejoe[/MENTION] has one he can rent you cheap but again shipping might be a problem.

http://www.shopsbt.com/jetski_repair_tools/sea-doo-alignment-tool-xp-gt-gtx-xp-spx-explorer.html

Lou

I live in Ohio. Local states freight is low 20 dollars. Further states freight is in the upper 20's. I bought it for the sole reason for the members of this site.

I eat the freight one way as part of the rental.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back