How to check if 2018 GTI SE 130 has been programmed in rental mode?

gbo

I bought a 2018 GTI SE 130 last summer. All the while, the max speed I've been able to get out of it has been 46 mph and max RPMS as been 6400 (I believe I've seen 6440). Wear ring and impeller appear to have been in great shape. Oil changed, spark plugs changed. Reading many forums, it appears that more than a few 2018 and 2019 models left the factory programmed as rentals. My understanding (limited understanding) is that there has been a limit on horse power put in place.

I've taken it to the dealers but the individual who hooked it up to a computer wasn't a tech and to be honest he didn't seem to really know what he was looking at or for. He didn't seem to really believe me at all that this could be a possible issue.

My question is, how could I or someone else tell if this is indeed the case?

Thanks in advance

If you're using a learning key, it will tell you on the lcd screen LEARNING KEY when you put the key on.

If you're ski was factory programmed as a rental with limited speed, there is a box that has to be unchecked using BUDS but this is very unlikely. More likely you have an exhaust leak, bad MAP sensor, throttle body, TPS, Pump, or similar problem that will lower top end.

I should have mentioned, exact same results using both keys. To be honest, I seem to recall both keys showing up on the dash as Normal Key. I'll have to double check that.

I was speaking with someone online that their 2018 was "in rental mode" unknowing to the dealer and after arguing a fair bit with them they finally determined it was. He said they plugged it in and it was limited to 99 hp.

Back