Help Please. Is this a bad stator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass

I have a '94 XP that starts great. But after riding around for about 5 mintues(up to operating temp.. at full throttle) it dies. When you try to restart it right away.. it sounds like the battery doesnt have enough juice... you have to wait 1 mintue before starting again. The battery is new.

I talked to a seadoo mechanic and he mentioned 'stator'... he also said it could be the regulator... I changed the regulator because it was the cheaper fix... but it still does the same thing.

Anybody have any ideas? :confused:

Thanks!

thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that the commpression test is good and I installed a carb rebuild kit also.

it does seem like it could be a carb starving issue(vapor lock?)... but what would explain the battery dying after a few mintues?

I wonder if I take it back out on the lake today and just run it at a idle and see if it stays running... would that point to the carbs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you clean just carb, but have same clogged fuel line system. It needs to be abel to draw freely to push fuel thru the carbs on that puppy! What do the plugs look like?
Battery should be load tested.
Hard to start is from fuel leaking in or bad RV cover clearance or bad o-ring.

Put voltmeter on battery while holding it at 5500rpm, should be in between 13.5-14.5, if not, replace the rectifer, that would cause your battery to be dying.

New BR8ES *plugs gapped .021 might be the ticket!
Symtom of an exhaust leaking into compartment, asphyxiating engine.

one thing that i have experienced like this is my gsx would bog down when i punch it. after i got it out of the water the fuel filter was clogged up. I also cleaned out the carbs... super easy to do.. If you want to clean out the carbs start motor and run water thru with your quick connect.* Rev throttle ....spray silcon lubricant into carbs back and forth evenly between the 2 for 2 mins reving engine quite high at some points...dont let motor stall.* Short bursts of spray 3-5 secs max.* then shut the water off and rev engine 5 secs then kill it.* This should help.

Bills86e.. you might be on to something here..

i just came back from doing a few more tests..

the charging system seems to be fine... voltage checks out fine

I ran it at 4000 rpms on the water for about 10minutes and it was running just fine.... then I got on it 6000 rpm and a few seconds later it shut off... but started right back up again after 15 seconds.

I will gap the plugs and do some more tests.

Thanks for your help guys!

Yes, you can. The BR7ES is a hotter plug, and may help if burning alittle oil, But you will not see ANY performance gain. Again, What do the plugs look like when you take them out? (maybe need to lower Pop-off). If you can't feel see, or smell an exhaust leak, try riding with the seat removed. Let us know. Bill

it has new champion plugs in it gapped at .028. They do look black.. running rich?

I just gapped these BR7ES's at .021 and I'm going to go put them in and give this another shot :)

i'll post my results

:ack:... just came back in from being stranded on the lake

it seemed to be running better and I had it at full throttle for about 4 minutes .. then it started the bog down to shutting off.. but came back out if it for a couple more minutes then died. This time it wouldnt start back up.
I just took the plugs out and they are dry.

I'm also taking the carb off... it must be straving for fuel?

Any thought or suggestions?

Thanks

definately sounds like it is starving for fuel... i would check the fuel filter, that may be clogged up pretty good... the other thing it may be is the fuel pump... see if any others chime in on that fuel pump though, i would be curious as well to see if that may be the problem...

OH NO........(grey Tempo) bad fuel line detox

Dry?

Fuel must route delivery system freely. The little diaphram must draw the fuel, then push it thru carbs. Determine if its the delivery or the carbs that obstruct Flow.
Once you first notice that the motor is not performing as it should, immediatly park it and find out what is wrong. Do not keep trying to ride it. That is how motors get destroyed for no good reason other than it needed fixing before the damage is done. Now you need to do a compression test to see if you damaged your pistons/rings & cylinder walls. Hopefully, the rectifier has gone south and that is why it will not rev out properly, a very common cure for this type problem.
there is more often than not a problem inside a carbureator, typically, those problems are water sitting in the carbs rusting up stuff, needle and seat valves that are stuck shut, diaphrams that are stiff old and hard, sometimes vulcanized ( glued ) to the diaphram cover plates so they can barely move inward to open the needle valves when necessary, or just partially open the needle valve which reduces fuel flow, gasoline/oil varnished internal carb parts, clogged internal filters, bad fuel pump diaphrams, ect.ect.ect.
Then to add to the list, water in the bottom of the gas tank, or a gooey mess of hardened pre-mix oil thart seperated from the gasoline, a clogged up fuel selector valve, rotten fuel lines and last but not least, the wrong style inline fuel filter. The one small fuel pump that feeds two thirsty 657X carbs cannot put up with any restrictions caused by the wrong style inline fuel filter.

Also, knowing your carbs and fuel system is clean and flowing easily & properly is very important on old motors. A clean fuel system and carbs will go along way to keep you from needing a new motor premateurly.

Disconnect the red wire to the rectifier and see if it run great. restart the ski several times to confirm and if everything worked, Rec is bad, This is the Rectifier test.

Open gas cap in case any pressure is in there, then re-tighten. Remove the gas supply line from carb
and put the hose end into a catch bottle. Remove the fuel return gas line from carb nipple and blow a small amount of air chuck pressure into return line. Watch routing fuel flow from
supply in a bottle, IF it routes good, the carb is faulty from a clog or pump diaphram has a hole.
Check pulse tube for clog, it operates the fuel pump with a push-pull or suck-blow as pistons
go up-down in engine case, that is how the mag carb pump actuates route pressure thru the carb, and back into gas tank . A WD-40 straw works good for that. Attach a 2'short fuel line to the tube and if you can blow into the crank-case, its clear of debris.
On dual carb systems, when the mag carb (it gets fuel first) clogs and the PTO carb starves as a result, and that cylinder runs lean, then seizes first. Running lean can cause Glow-plugging and the engine will Rev run-away. Pulling off the lanyard will not help. Asphyxiating by pulling choke and opening throttle may stop engine run-away. Pulling spark wires may injure you and not kill engine as its getting fire from burning piston carbon or red hot spark plug.
Any SeaDoo or other jetski with OEM grey tempo fuel lines will need the entire fuel system rebuilt due to known problems with internal fuel-line deterioration & resin goo clogging up the small internal carborator filters, fuel selector valve and most other fuel system components. Symptoms also include engine bogging at higher speeds (3500 rpm). Continued riding will cause carbonizing & a burned aluminum pistons and engine failure due to lean fuel/air mixtures and high combustion temps. The only solution is to replace ALL the fuel lines with standard automotive NAPA lines, clear race Fuel lines like: http://fastflowfuellines.com/, or equivalent, rebuild the carborators with rebuild kits,new needle & seats, and replacing the fuel selector valve. It is suggested to install a clear glass marine grade inline fuel filter just before the carborators to catch any remaining debris.Yamaha also has a good i/f.
Inspect the fuel separator/filter O-ring and gas tank vent one-way check valve.

For the carbs to work, you have got to have the flame arrestor on. This is what creates resistance, along with the manifold pressure created by the compression of the engine, to get the gas to the motor. So, if you don't have the flame arrestor on, you'll never get fuel to the motor.

Wet Plugs.
Gas Tank Breather Check Valves
A common cause is a carburetor needle(s) & seat(s) leaking fuel into the cylinders causeing a hard sto start condition when motor is hot. How can gas get past a needle valve other than what I have talked about? One way is if the fuel tank pressure release check valve in the OUT vent line thru rub rail is not functioning. The fuel pressure in the tank overcomes the spring tension on the needle valve and gas is FORCED past it. The valve should open at approx. 3-5lbs. psi. Bills86e

wow.. thanks for all the great info Bill!

The fuel lines look good inside them... no deterioration ..they look pretty good.. but what you said makes me want to change them this winter. I also see no in-line fuel filter after the fuel tank and before the carb.

I just got back in from cleaning out the carb filters and taking the ski for another spin.

The rebuild kit is new so the filters were about 10% dirty.(i know this is still unacceptable) clean everything up and it fired back up again.

It was running better than ever for a full 8 minutes ..mostly full throttle... but I think there is water getting in the pipe and its not starting back up... as soon as I take it out of the water and water comes out and it will start again.

My brother just found something on the internet about a water pressure regulator.

Is it afraid of the water ? :confused:

Phew!

Well... It looks like the problem is resolved! Thanks Bill and everybody for the help.

After taking the carbs back off last night, noticed a little slim inside the carb.. so that was a clue to bad lines. Bill was right :D

Went to the dealer and picked up 12' of clear blue fuel line. Was still about 5' off... so if anybody wants to replace the lines... Grab yourself 17' of fuel line.

When putting the carbd back on noticed the little oil injector lines were so brittle ..they were broken off :puke: .. had some RC boat fuel line to replace them.. worked nice :)

Also had to pick up another fuel filter.. the one on it had a rip in it and junk was in the bottom of the filter bottom... so the bottom line is the fuel system had restrictive delivery as Bill said.

Just came back from out on the water and its running great... much better on the top end... I can hear some pitter patter up to 1/4 throttle.. like it needs a carb adjustment.

Backed out the high idle screws about 1/4 turn(from when trying to diagnose the original problems)... are these suppose to be set at 0? Could be the problem?

This is a '94 650 XP .... not sure how to tell if the engine is a 657X? (I just found on the stator box.. it says 657X :) ) Thinking about taking the carbs off again to make sure the high and low idle screws are back to factory.

Once again thanks for all your help... :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back