~~help ELECTRONIC??-- 5amp fuse blows when stator is plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't tried, how would I do that? Is it the round white pto wheel that should spin? I tried spinning the wheel but spark plugs were still in and I didn't give much force. Is that what I need to try and turn?

Ok friends! Wouldn't turn over by hand so I put a tad wd40 inside each plug hole and got it to turn over....so I clean the carb and put fresh gas in.

Compression is 145 or so in each.

Starts up but only with choke then throttle. It will throttle up but won't idle, engine dies once I let off the throttle.

I'm on a trailer so only letting it run for 10-15sec with throttle.

Tons of water out of exhaust the first few seconds.
Thick white smoke is coming out of exhaust.
239.jpg

Not sure if it was fogged or if I am just brining the little extra oil I put in the plug holes before starting it.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having similar issues with my 5amp fuse on my 97 speedster. Ive tried to disconnect the stators and still pops. My issue is when the power is connected to the battery, that it pops.

Jump the solenoid posts with a screwdriver . If the starter turns you have a bad solenoid. If not bad starter.

Can't...if I completely disconnect the coils, rectifiers and the entire main round plug that goes to the boat, leaving only the gounds connected and the power connected on the MPEM. Once I apply power to the MPEM it blows the fuse. So im thinking Its a bad MPEM.

Check for continuity between the fuse and a ground wire coming from the MPEM. There should be no continuity.

Chester

Read this whole thread, your answer has been posted already.

Chester
I read it again just now. And I'm missing my answer. I have disconnected everything from the MPEM. The only thing connected is the two power wires and the one ground. As soon as i apply the battery cables to the terminals the 5a fuse blows. If I try to insert another fuse it blows before I even insert it all the way.

I read it again just now. And I'm missing my answer. I have disconnected everything from the MPEM. The only thing connected is the two power wires and the one ground. As soon as i apply the battery cables to the terminals the 5a fuse blows. If I try to insert another fuse it blows before I even insert it all the way.

Then the fuse is grounded when it shouldn't be. You must've done the test wrong.

Chester

Then the fuse is grounded when it shouldn't be. You must've done the test wrong.

Chester
How can I do it wrong? There is two posts for the fuse to connect to and 1 ground cable. I turn my meter to continuity. Put the black on the ground and the red lead to the one side of the fuse holder...nothing. Now connect the red lead to the other side of the fuse holder...nothing. Now what did I do wrong?

How can I do it wrong? There is two posts for the fuse to connect to and 1 ground cable. I turn my meter to continuity. Put the black on the ground and the red lead to the one side of the fuse holder...nothing. Now connect the red lead to the other side of the fuse holder...nothing. Now what did I do wrong?

Turn your meter to ohms, not continuity. Connect one lead to the red wire and the other to the ground wire. Plug the fuse in and check the reading.

Chester

So update on my fuse issue. "somehow" the polarity got reversed on the battery. And that was causing my fuse to blow. Only found out when I tried to throw the battery on the charger and the reverse polarity light came on. So I put a new battery in the boat..and it runs perfectly!

Not sure how the hell the polarity got reversed..but thats a first I heard one shop told me.

My first hunch, is that your battery is weak. Check that is around 12.7 V. Then do a load test...your symptom usually is of a weak battery. And it's easy to check all your battery connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back