Hand Cranking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balleng

So I'm checking my 1993 GTX and at this point I'm almost certain that the starter is bad.

But I want to make sure that the engine isn't seized. I'm NOT experienced with PWC, but I found where the engine can be cranked by hand (directly behind the motor under the plastic cover, right?).

My question is: how hard should it be to turn the crank? I can turn it, but it requires a decent amount of force. It doesn't spin freely or anything. What does this mean?

Is there any other method than just grabbing it with my hand and turning it?

Please advise.

with the spark plugs out... it should spin relatively free. If they are in... you will fight the compression.

yup that sums up the situation exactly...

with the plugs in its pretty difficult to turn, but without them its pretty easy

does this mean that the engine is NOT seized?

If the engine is seized, it either won't spin by hand counterclockwise or it is real hard to rotate. You should do a compression test to see what is going on inside the engine.

Compression Check​

You'll need a compression tester. Go to Auto Zone. I think they sell for like $25.00. The compression gage, will screw in the cylinder head in place of the spark plugs. To test compression, remove the spark plugs. Place spark plug caps on the plug cap studs near the cylinder head to ground the empty caps. This completes the circuit of the ignition electrical system and prevents any electrical problems from the caps being un grounded. Using the correct adapter for the threaded end of the tester,( same length of the spark plug threads length)screw in the tester in one plug hole. Hold the throttle wide open. Push the start button. Watch the compression gauge, when it peaks out at the most compression, let go the start button. Read the psi number. I would do it 3 times to be sure it is accurate. Check all the cylinders the same way. The ideal compression is 150 psi per cylinder. If it is less, it's not a problem as long as they are close to being the same. If the psi is less than 90 it might need be time for a tear down and a rebuild. If the psi in 1 cylinder is say 140 psi and the other is 80 psi you need to tear down and repair. This difference is a lot then there is a problem. The ratio of difference is 10% difference between cylinder readings. I hope this helps you.

Karl

It could be but to rule that out, remove the pump and try spinning it again. If it spins freely then the pump was seized.
If still not spinning then remove the head and look into the cylinders at the top of pistons.

As always report back with what you find. :)

The shaft could also be crooked, so check that too just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back