GTX 4tec, will idle but engine spins when power applied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnar

My GTX seems to lose power to the prop when I apply any horsepower, it will idle along up to about 3000 rpm. I know it is probably one end to the drive shaft or the other. Can't seem to get the pump off. Whats the trick to pulling the pump and drive shaft. I've just signed up and am awaiting Paypal to kick in so I can get the service manual.

Gunnar, PM seadoosnipe as he is a great resource for this ;)

You should have access now...just go to the Premium Members section on the forum home page.

Welcome Gunnar!

Welcome to the forum Gunnar. Glad to have you here!
I've read your post and your symptoms are indicative of a worn out or damaged wearing ring. That's kinda hard to bite because I see your Doo isn't that old. A wearing ring, under normal riding conditions should last upwards of 7 to 10 years.
I'll go through the manual with you on Wednesday and see what else can be dug up on it but it does seem that your wearing ring is gone. One other possibility is that with all the power that the 4 TEC generates, makes me wonder if you've spun your shaft (stripped out your splines on the impellor). If you spun your shaft, it will have a strange sound to it. A zipping kinda sound. A bad wearing ring will only keep your from building thrust, there isn't any difference in engine sound.
To remove the pump is fairly simple.
On page 234 of the volume 2 manual for the 2005, you'll see the layout on pump removal and repair. After you remove the 4 nuts that hold the pump on at the transom of the ski and you've removed the water inlet and bailer tube inlets from inside, grasp the pump and wiggle it pretty hard from side to side and up and down until you break the watertight seal. After you accomplish this, it should just slide out. That seal can be stubborn, so don't give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back